SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Adrenal gland disorder, anyone BTDT or know someone?

I found out in late January I have an adrenal gland disorder, thats all I really know. Yesterday I went to the dr. to have bloodwork drawn to check my levels.

I am taking hydrocortisone 10 mg with breakfast and 5 mg at dinner. My seizures have stopped and my thyroid levels are now within normal range but I am still so completely, utterly exhausted all the time.

I did google and read up on it when I first found out, I felt alot better the first 2-2.5 weeks on the meds but then it was like my body just slid back into the chronic fatigue mode again. I am just so sick and tired of being sick and tired. This has taken a huge toll on my mental health, I feel so worthless, I've been this way since around last summer. This all just stinks.

Any advice deeply appreciated, if it were not for my wonderful boys sometimes I think I would just jump off a bridge!

Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't have any direct experience myself but have heard around here that just because your thyroid levels are in a normal range, it may not be the number/range YOU need personally. I hope some of the ladies who take meds for thyroid issues will come forward and help you out!

Sorry you are feeling so crummy.... that is so hard to deal with when you have kiddos to run around after. Hope your doctor can help you make adjustments to your meds and get you feeling better.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    I don't have any direct experience myself but have heard around here that just because your thyroid levels are in a normal range, it may not be the number/range YOU need personally. I hope some of the ladies who take meds for thyroid issues will come forward and help you out!
    This is me. If I'm at the high end of normal range, I get really tired, insomnia. I'm better when I'm at the other end of normal. It took some trial and error and an endocrinologist who was willing to work with me until we found what worked.

There is also debate of what is normal range. Several years back the American Endocrinology Association recommended narrowing what is considered normal, but some labs and Drs. still use the older wider range. My first endocrinologist was one of those, and he said my levels were normal and didn't need medicine. I had a thyroid nodule and when I saw a thyroid surgeon, he said my levels were NOT normal and I did need medicine. Made the world of difference to me. You can read more about what is considered normal here
    http://thyroid.about.com/od/getteste...altshlevel.htm

When I have my levels checked, I always ask for the actual TSH number. My current endocrinologist does use the narrower range, but I still want to know what the actual numbers are.

You may also find that with thyroid replacement, it's good but not as good as your natural thyroid hormones. That means that you do feel better on it, but you won't go back to feeling exactly the same before the thyroid issues started. My Dr. calls it a "new normal". I did have part of my thyroid removed though, so I'm on higher dose than many other people.

Exercise has also helped me with feeling better overall, so do try to go for a walk etc.
    Last edited by niccig; 03-18-2010 at 12:57 PM.