Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default home remedy for mold?

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a substance to kill and control mold? Our business has had some water damage and we have some spots of mold that have occurred. We would like to treat it, and prevent it's return. Anyone have any experience or knowledge?
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

MissyAg94 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not a home remedy but we bought some mold killer/inhibitor at Home Depot.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We had black mold in our basement. I used clorox mixed with water-sprayed it on and let it sit, then I scrubbed it off. It took everything off right away. Really the only way to prevent it's return is to fix the issue that caused the water damage. Otherwise, no matter how many times you clean it, it will continue to come back.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Whats the mold on? Drywall? If it is you need to cut out the dry wall and patch it.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    We had black mold in our basement. I used clorox mixed with water-sprayed it on and let it sit, then I scrubbed it off. It took everything off right away. Really the only way to prevent it's return is to fix the issue that caused the water damage. Otherwise, no matter how many times you clean it, it will continue to come back.
    we sold our townhouse a couple of years ago and the inspection found black mold in the corner of our basement. i had 2 mold remidiation companies come out. 1 quoted like $2k to "remidiate" it and the other said that becuase it was a small patch (i think 5x5 or something like that), we don't need to have it professionally remidiated. he recommeneded my DH scrub it with bleach (i was prego) and then to paint it with Kilz sealer i think. i can't remember what he suggested for painting, but if you go to home depot and ask they'll recommend. this was on our walls which were cinder block.

and the other poster is correct...it didn't fix the problem. it only remidiated the current situation.
    Mom to DD 7/06, DS1 8/08 & DS2 9/11!

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    I was wondering if that would work. We're in the process of major work on our building due to a roof leak, so as soon as that is finished, the problem will stop. I just wanted to find something to kill what was there so that it doesn't continue to grow once the roof is fixed.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Ours was on cinderblock in the basement. AFter I sprayed and scrubbed several times. I ended up painting over with drylock. Since we have had our basement re-waterproofed we have really only had a small amount of mold come back (before it was BAD) and it took a very very long time. If it's on another surface such as drywall, I think you do need to do what Jeana suggested and cut and patch.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

BUT if you cut the patch and find more in the wall you have real issues and I suggest you call a company. Servepro did our old house.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

yes, definitely if you find more you need to call a mold remediation company.

FWIW, they wanted near $5,000 to do our basement. With the $12,000 re-waterproofing we decided to just clean it ourselves (plus, like I said, ours was cinderblock. If it in a finished room we probably would have gone ahead and had the company come out and do it).
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

oneplustwo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just make a mixture of one part bleach to 3 parts water, apply, let sit 10 to 20 minutes, and then rinse and dry. That will kill the surface mold, but as PPs have mentioned, it only works on non-porous materials. And be sure to keep the bleach mixture off your skin when applying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast