mom2akm is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Please advise: bidding on a bank owned proerty!

I am so excited, we may have found a house we like. Would you be able to give me some advise on how to best position myself to bid on a bank owned poperty? If the price is below market value, should I bid more than the asking price? Is that common that people would do that? Anything else I should be aware of? Please give me any advise!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

A friend recently did this and they did end up offering more than the asking price. Not sure of how it stands right now.

I think it is really going to depend on the market in your area, but we just bought a foreclosed home in Oct. The house was on the market for only 2 days and we were already the 2nd offer. We did bid over asking for a couple reasons:

1) after looking for months, I knew this was THE house for us!
    2) in our area, all bank owned properties had been selling for over asking price
    3) I knew we were the 2nd offer and while I didn't know what the 1st offer was, I went in with my best offer instead of risking losing the house

Good luck!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If you don't have a realtor to answer all of these questions for you, you need one. They can help you navigate the process in your area. The realtor won't cost you anything.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009