Default Food allergies & Eating out

DS is 19 months and has allergies to dairy, eggs, wheat and peanut. We are planning a disney vacation for next month and a vacation later too and I am really struggling with how i'm going to feed DS. It's not like there are tons of allergy free options on menus and i'm so worried about cross-contamination, something as simple as using the same knife to cut foods. I can bring snacks but let's face it I can only bring so much food for meals and alot of the stuff he eats would require it being cooked which I could do ahead of time too but I don't want to make him eat it cold for a week either!

I know there are several moms here with kids with food allergies, could I hear how you eat out with them? I've panicked about this several times to the point of nearly canceling the trips but I really don't want to do that!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We are at Disneyland right now. Were also here last year in April.

Currently, DD#2 is allergic to peanuts and fish. Last year, she was also considered allergic to egg, but could eat hidden egg. DD#1 is allergic to tree nuts. I can tell you that Disney is one of the places I feel most relaxed about FAs. The staff here are fabulous. When you do reserved dining, tell the reservation staff about the FAs, then remind the host when you check in to the restaurant. The chef will come to your table to discuss and come up with a plan. They do this even if the "diner" is not being charged for the meal (kids under 3 don't pay at reserved dining).

We have also found the restaurants in Downtown Disney absolutely fabulous too.

FWIW, we bring a TON of snacks with us (Canada has a lot more snacks for our particular food allergies -- we have a horrible time finding snacks that are peanut free in the US). It seems everyone brings snacks.

Also, not all of the hotels here include a fridge in your room rate, but many will comp you the fridge for medical reasons. That is how we got ours this year (Crowne Plaza). Last year, we stayed at the HoJo and it had a fridge and microwave.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've heard great things about Disney for FA. If you could go anywhere with a FA kid, that's where I'd go. I think they'll be able to accomodate you.

When DS was allergic to milk, eggs, mustard, and still allergic to peanuts. The milk was the hardest. During that stage, I brought his food to the restaurant. Warmed up chicken nuggets, etc. right before we left and wrapped in foil. I even asked a waitress one time to warm the food up and she did. When we went on vacation, we got hotel rooms with a fridge/micro, went grocery shopping, and brought the food to the restaurant.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    The milk was the hardest. During that stage, I brought his food to the restaurant. Warmed up chicken nuggets, etc. right before we left and wrapped in foil. I even asked a waitress one time to warm the food up and she did. When we went on vacation, we got hotel rooms with a fridge/micro, went grocery shopping, and brought the food to the restaurant.

I always bring DD's food, reheated in a thermos because you cannot know with certainty which allergens might be lurking in the restaurant-prepared meals. Kids with milk allergies don't tolerate butter well (DUH!), and most restaurant food, including stuff you would never suspect, like "steamed" veggies, has butter in it. Try getting a fridge, find out where the groceries stores are in that area, and try to investigate which prepackaged foods your child can eat, so you can stock up on your first day there.

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Babymakes3 View Post
    DS is 19 months and has allergies to dairy, eggs, wheat and peanut. We are planning a disney vacation for next month and a vacation later too and I am really struggling with how i'm going to feed DS. It's not like there are tons of allergy free options on menus and i'm so worried about cross-contamination, something as simple as using the same knife to cut foods. I can bring snacks but let's face it I can only bring so much food for meals and alot of the stuff he eats would require it being cooked which I could do ahead of time too but I don't want to make him eat it cold for a week either!

I know there are several moms here with kids with food allergies, could I hear how you eat out with them? I've panicked about this several times to the point of nearly canceling the trips but I really don't want to do that!
    Have to visited www.kidswithfoodallergies.org? (KFA) GREAT resource

Disney is THE place to go with FA's. My understanding is Disney is great w/ xcont issues
    I'd think making dining reservations, and having the allergies noted would be your best bet. Counter service should still be good, but I'd think sit down would be a lot easier. You can call them ahead of time to discuss, and talk w/ your travel agent. I know there's Disney threads on KFA. Also on DISboards.com

try to get thru the 1st vacation before worrying about the 2nd. Too much for a brain to handle.

When we had xcont issues, we always brought our own food. We haven't traveled much though. With Disney, you can order stuff online (amazon) and ship it to your hotel. Also request a fridge for medical reasons.

DD ate only cold stuff FOREVER!

Of course, have your epipens, benadryl and food action plans with you, dr's numbers, local hospitals (that serviced pediatrics) ahead of time.

Does DC have a Medic Alert bracelet? If not, I suggest getting one.

GOOD LUCK!
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

we also made "Chef cards" for dd's allergies. It listed all the ingredients on a card. (each allergen should have it's own, i'd think) KFA has those too.

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org...food-allergens

each page on that link has the allergen list and the travel size cards
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

Disney is the best with FAs!

I will tell you that if you arei n Orlando and have an emergency - the children's hospital is:

Arnold Palmer Hospital
    83 W. Miller St.
    Orlando FL

There is another hospital closer to Disney, but APH is where you need to go...it's downtown orlando and if you end up at another ER they will transport to APH.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Not an FA mom, but when we stayed at the Hyatt they gave us a fridge for our room so we could put some milk in there for free.

I do have to agree with what Bubbaray said about DL being great with FAs as I bet they are because at Disney customer service is usually way over the top and everyone is usually very nice and because you are spending often $$$$ there they know they need to be over the top.

I will say as someone who has never been huge on butter and or on Weight Watchers I have asked for things without butter plenty of times at normal run of the mill restaurants and never had a problem either.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

cntrymoon2 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

All counter service and full service restaurants at Disney have ingredient lists for every single item. I've had to use it multiple times to find out if there was hidden dairy in items...just ask to see the ingredients and they can get someone from the kitchen to bring it to you.
    You can also hit up a Publix (local grocery store) nearby on Hwy 192 and stock up when you get to Orlando. There's a Goodings grocery store near downtown Disney but the prices are WAY higher, as they cater to tourists.