View Poll Results: What was your tax burden for 2009?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 0% (I think this is possible with EIC)

1 1.59%
  • 0% to < 5%

1 1.59%
  • 5% to < 10%

0 0%
  • 10% to < 15%

6 9.52%
  • 15% to <20%

4 6.35%
  • 20% to < 25%

2 3.17%
  • 25% to < 30%

6 9.52%
  • 30% +

43 68.25%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Self-employed aside, for those in the 30%+ is is mainly property taxes/AMT that push it up?

The other thought is how many are two income families? Would that make a difference in the SS tax burden?
    We're 2 income, we both maxed out Medicare/SS contributions. We have AMT, so we can't deduct property tax and some other things...

Our property tax is 3-4% of our income. We have a high state income tax.

It all adds up to >30%.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach_in_Ca View Post
    We're 2 income, we both maxed out Medicare/SS contributions. We have AMT, so we can't deduct property tax and some other things...

Our property tax is 3-4% of our income. We have a high state income tax.

It all adds up to >30%.

Come move to our state! Apparently we have very low taxes.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    Live in Texas so no Income taxes, but I DO pay sales tax (and frankly, leaving the sales tax out but allowing income tax to be counted does mess up the calculation here because the sales tax tends to be higher in states without income taxes.) And property taxes swing our tax payment up over 10% of income. This is without owing ANY money to the federal government. (Less than $100 over a year last year)
    What is the sales tax in TX? We have a pretty high income tax here and our sales tax is still ~10%. Woohoo. Go California!

It's hard to make a poll for these sorts of things, so I was trying to make it easier by excluding sales tax. I have no idea how much we paid in sales tax really. I suppose I could extrapolate by adding up our purchases, but who wants to do that. I'm already traumitized enough by looking at the taxes.

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ah. California explains it all. We didn't even look for jobs in that state. Texas has lower sales tax than that!
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by billysmommy View Post

We have a small business and there's a good chance we will hit 50% depending on what happens with new taxes......I can't even imagine
    We pay a lot.
    K

There's no point in complaining anyways. We are fortunate that we can afford to live here and really we're doing well.

I just don't want our taxes raised anymore!!!

It's already hard to work knowing that I'm paying a big penalty for AMT & childcare. But then again I am saving for retirement and paying down the house, and I have a career to rely on.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

we finally did ours and I wassurprised we are as high as we are. It was interesting to add all those up for a total. I usually just look at the number in Turbo Tax, which is around 4% this year, yet I voted in the 20-25% category!
    Kris

schrocat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach_in_Ca View Post
    What is the sales tax in TX? We have a pretty high income tax here and our sales tax is still ~10%. Woohoo. Go California!

It's hard to make a poll for these sorts of things, so I was trying to make it easier by excluding sales tax. I have no idea how much we paid in sales tax really. I suppose I could extrapolate by adding up our purchases, but who wants to do that. I'm already traumitized enough by looking at the taxes.
    We pay 8.25% sales tax in Houston, TX. No sales tax on groceries except prepared food.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4