citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default What new pumping supplies do I need - it's been 2.5 years since I hung up the horns!

Hallelujah, I haven't had to pump in two and a half years! That said, I'm seeing it in my future in just a couple of months - and that's OK. I have a PISA and assume that I will need to get some replacements/new parts for hygiene reasons. What do I need to stock up on? Valves and storage bags? What about tubing, flanges, etc? Same old OK or do I need to replace for a new baby? I guess I will need to sterilize or run through the dishwasher before using at the minimum, but let me know if I need to do anything else.

Also, I used to pump into the old Medela plastic bottles which I am guessing were not BPA free (?), so I assume I'll need to replace these? Sorry to sound like such a dimwit, but I erased all pumping thoughts from my mind for the past 2.5 years and need a refresher! TIA for your help.
    Last edited by citymama; 03-24-2010 at 02:28 PM.

for Sandy Hook

When I had my second, I bought:

- new valves, new BPA-free horns, and new tubing (though I didn't really need this) for my pump and a new hands-free thing (Pumpin' Pal)
    - new freezer packs for my coolers
    - some new Lansinoh bags (but I already had 40+ of the BPA-free Medela storage bottles from last time)

I also had a ton of Evenflo and "My Mommy's Milk" Lansinoh glass bottles for storage, as they say BM antibodies cling less to glass. But they are HEAVY when you use them to pump. And I hate transporting glass bottles back and forth so I really didn't use them this time around.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I got new horns, and the design had changed since we had those 2-part things. MUCH better for cleaning. I also got Pumpin' Pals, which took a lot of pressure off the back - you remember the "hunching" right? The Easy Expressions bustier was wonderful as well, since it slipped right over everything. The Medela bottles were BPA free already (pretty sure), but the nipples/cap openings have changed since the older ones from 2006. They now only offer a wide-mouth version, so you may have to get new caps to fit the new shape. Just look carefully when you buy them. BuyBuyBaby has them in open stock, I think. I did get new tubes, membranes, steam bags, more bottles and new nipples. It's funny how the parts all have to come from different B&M stores. The tubing has always been hard to find here.

Sadly, I ended up selling my pump a few months ago for $45 instead of having a bonfire like I'd hoped.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This time around, I washed and sterilized my old pump parts and got a new kit at the hospital. Used the same bottles as before (Medelas are BPA-free). I did end up buying a bunch of 9oz bottles for pumping since I'm pumping for twins and was overflowing the little 5oz bottles, but not until a little later in my pumping career.

I also stocked up on my favorite storage bags, and made sure that I had some of the Medela microwave sterilizer bags on hand. Oh, I changed my membranes and picked up some extras on hand since those little buggers tear so easily.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You only really need to replace the membranes if you sterilize everything else. Personally, I would just order a replacement kit just in case a part had become damaged somehow while it wasn't in use.

http://addalittlelove.com/pump_in_st...cement_kit.htm

I didn't have great luck with the Easy Expression because the sizing was a little awkward for me. I use a Simple Wishes and find it works much better since it is so customizable with the fit. You can remove the center front panel to move the openings closer together and there is a 10" back panel that velcro adjusts to change the "band size."

For bottles, I use some Medela ones and some Gerber ones. They're all BPA free.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just started pumping for DD2. I bought new membranes, storage bags, and bottles. Just cleaned everything else. As OP said, medela changed their nipples and rings. My old bottles looked gross so that's why I replaced them.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.