Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i only heard about this "new mattress for each baby" thing from DH who is the more paranoid one about everything. i think he read in baby bargains but i couldn't find it.

i did an internet search and apparently this was discussed before, six years ago:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=134970

also apparently in a UK study, reusing mattresses can increase risk of SIDS, due to bacteria that has been sitting around for a while
    http://www.gurgle.com/articles/Home_...cond_hand.aspx

the whole outgassing of chemicals by new mattresses was apparently a myth, as SIDS studies showed there was no link between increased SIDS risk and chemicals in traditional (non-organic) mattresses (p. 100 on Baby Bargains)

anyway, i didn't that it was that big of a concern but considering a new mattress is only $80-100 i figured might as well get a new one when we have DC #2

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think the warnings about not re-using crib mattresses are a very good warning for anyone who's looking to buy a used mattress of craigslist or at a used store. You just can't know the condition of a mattress by looking at it or even smelling it. But if you've had it all along - different story. Exact same thing with car seats.

the whole outgassing of chemicals by new mattresses was apparently a myth, as SIDS studies showed there was no link between increased SIDS risk and chemicals in traditional (non-organic) mattresses (p. 100 on Baby Bargains)
    I'm not saying it causes SIDS, I'm just saying that anything that reeks of chemicals can't possibly be good. Particularly non-organic ones with flame retardant. Those things give ME a headache when I walk down that aisle at BRU, no way would I put a new baby's face right up to them. I'd also air out any carpet before putting it in a nursery.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post

I'm not saying it causes SIDS, I'm just saying that anything that reeks of chemicals can't possibly be good. Particularly non-organic ones with flame retardant. Those things give ME a headache when I walk down that aisle at BRU, no way would I put a new baby's face right up to them. I'd also air out any carpet before putting it in a nursery.
    oh i agree, when i bought DS's mattress (and all other nursery furniture) i was around 5-6 months preggers max so it all had a long time to air out..same thing with the Nap Nanny, i aired it out for days before using. i was just saying that in terms of SIDS, there is no increased risk using conventional (ie non-organic) new mattress, where there does seems to be an increased risk with using used ones.

i asked DH this morning where he read it about the using new mattress for each baby. i coudln't find it in Baby Bargains. in the beginning of Baby411 there is a top 10 list of things you need for baby and it says "new mattress" but i couldn't find anything else. he said he thinks he read it one of the books, but could be wrong. i wish i could find it.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would have re-used our first Colgate Classica I if DS1 had not still been using it at the time. I would feel comfortable re-using a mattress in great condition that I purchased and that had been stored inside my house the entire time it was not in use. However, I would consider buying a new one if there was a large gap in time (maybe more than 4-5 years) or I was not entirely satisfied with the condition of the mattress for whatever reason.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I think the warnings about not re-using crib mattresses are a very good warning for anyone who's looking to buy a used mattress of craigslist or at a used store. You just can't know the condition of a mattress by looking at it or even smelling it. But if you've had it all along - different story. Exact same thing with car seats.
    I totally agree with this. Kind of like how your bathroom toilet doesn't get cleaned every day but it somehow feels cleaner than the one at Wal-Mart that gets cleaned several times a day.
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I remember reading (but I don't remember where) that the issue with SIDS was only when the mattress was reused by non-siblings (or to be clearer, I suppose - a mattress from a different household)...

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I didn't replace DD#1s for DD#2 (almost 3 years apart). I did "dawn" on me (because it was discussed here), but as we'd always used a waterproof mattress cover on it and it was always in the nursery, I really thought it was a non-issue.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

nope. Jack is sleeping on Nathan's.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had never heard that before. What you don't learn on this board?! DS is only two and was not "hard" on his mattress, so I'm definately planning on using it for DC2.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've heard of replacing them for every kid but I'm not sure where...we did but ONLY because we bought a second crib. I would have no qualms about using either one of our mattresses for a third child.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast