Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pancakes!

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    We use this recipe I got off the net. Dh makes it almost every Saturday, and added his own tweaks.

Old Fashioned Pancakes
    1.5 cups flour (we use whole wheat)
    3.5 tsp baking powder (Dh uses 2)
    1 tsp salt (Dh uses 1/2 tsp)
    1 tbsp white sugar
    1.25 cup milk (Dh uses 1 1/3 cup)
    1 egg
    3 tbsp melted butter (Dh uses oil)

Mix all ingredients. Lightly oil skillet on med. heat. Pour 2-3 inch pancakes. Turn when tops bubble, solidify, then cook for additional 1 minute. Makes 10 pancakes, 2-3 per serving.

I have to say after eating these pancakes for a couple years, regular at the restaurant seem very fluffy and not very filling
    This is VERY close to my grandmas recipe, except I use self-rising and always add vanilla. sometimes I add almond extract or cinnamon too!
    Bodyboarding, music loving, clothing upcycler Mom to adult kid1, elementary kid2

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This is making me REALLY hungry. Which is sad, because I was about to go to bed. Now I might eat ice cream instead.

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    We use this recipe I got off the net. Dh makes it almost every Saturday, and added his own tweaks.

Old Fashioned Pancakes
    1.5 cups flour (we use whole wheat)
    3.5 tsp baking powder (Dh uses 2)
    1 tsp salt (Dh uses 1/2 tsp)
    1 tbsp white sugar
    1.25 cup milk (Dh uses 1 1/3 cup)
    1 egg
    3 tbsp melted butter (Dh uses oil)

Mix all ingredients. Lightly oil skillet on med. heat. Pour 2-3 inch pancakes. Turn when tops bubble, solidify, then cook for additional 1 minute. Makes 10 pancakes, 2-3 per serving.

I have to say after eating these pancakes for a couple years, regular at the restaurant seem very fluffy and not very filling
    We use that *exact* same recipe with almost exactly the same tweaks. Our mods are:
    Old Fashioned Pancakes
    1.5 cups flour (1/2 all purpose, 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour)
    3.5 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt (a generous 1/2 tsp)
    1 tbsp white sugar
    1.25 cup milk (I often add a bit more when I'm mixing it - maybe closer to 1.5 cups?)
    1 egg
    3 tbsp melted butter (we use canola oil)
    ** and here I add the super secret special ingredient: 1 tsp double-strength vanilla **

Cook as directed above. As a treat (which means nearly every time I make them) I might sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips on the girls' pancakes after I pour them on the griddle. Or if it's just them and me I'll mix in a cup or so of defrosted frozen blueberries (DH doesn't eat blueberries) after mixing everything else together. Mmmm.

What does reducing the baking powder so much do? Does it make for thinner pancakes? I wonder if that's why I have to add more milk at the end?

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

here is the pumpkin pancake recipe that my dc like:

1 cup flour
    3 tbs sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 egg
    1 cup yogurt
    1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
    2 tbsp butter melted and cooled

standard pancake method (heat skillet, combine wet ingredients together, mix in dry ingredients until just combined, pour 1/4 cup batter on lightly greased skillet, flip when tops bubble)

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

just walked into BBB to ask a pancakes question can pancakes be made ahead of time, and refrigerated? I've seen the post that they can be frozen, but what about refrigeration? and how long would they last? DS decided that he likes pancakes, and I'm excited

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsthreads View Post

What does reducing the baking powder so much do? Does it make for thinner pancakes? I wonder if that's why I have to add more milk at the end?

Sarah
    I asked Dh and he said so much baking powder made it really thick and it just plopped off the spoon. He couldn't even pour it properly. So your hunch is most likely correct.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/V...cream_pancakes

These are the BEST.PANCAKES.EVER. I make them using 100% whole wheat flour instead of the white flour (same amount) and they ROCK. My family loves them.

HTH
    Oh. My. Gosh. Bubbaray, you gave this link out once before and I printed it on on a whim and they truly are the BEST.PANCAKES.EVER. We eat them every Saturday and even DH, who is not a big breakfast eater, loves them. The sour cream keeps them...I don't know, moist? fluffy? Who cares, it's an awesome recipe and I'm forever indebted to you for helping us make a beautiful tradition each weekend (I say that b/c DH is the one who makes them, with *help* from DD, and I sometimes get to sleep in!)

We don't use wheat flour but do put in blueberries. Does that count for health???
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We love the Multigrain baking and pancake mix from trader joes! i make them as directed and add a touch (1-2 tbs) of homemade tahitian vanilla sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon or some frozen wild blueberrys. you dont even need syrup! the mix contains lots of yummy healthy things like whole wheat flour, rolled oats, wheat bran, oat bran, and brown rice flour.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by peanut520 View Post
    We love the Multigrain baking and pancake mix from trader joes! i make them as directed and add a touch (1-2 tbs) of homemade tahitian vanilla sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon or some frozen wild blueberrys. you dont even need syrup! the mix contains lots of yummy healthy things like whole wheat flour, rolled oats, wheat bran, oat bran, and brown rice flour.
    We used the TJs mix before we moved and started making our own. It's a very good mix! We used it for years. If TJs were much closer we probably would still be using it
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2