Default When to Into Eggs (yolks)?

Ds is 8.5 months. He's been doing solids for many months, including finger foods. I need some new options.

He was up over 16 lbs. finally, but now he has actually lost weight and is back down to 15.5 lbs. He needs all the calories and protein he can get.

Thanks.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

My little guy is 9.5 months and he has always been a skinny little dude. I 'just' started egg yolks with him since he needed the protein, but doesn't seem to be a fan of meats, ie. chicken and beef.

bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

At our 9 month visit, I asked our pediatrician about eggs. He said no eggs because they are highly allergenic. I said what about yolks only. He said its virtually impossible to get a completely white-free yolk. Just reporting what he said (frankly, it seems a little extreme to me...but he's our pediatrician and I'm following his advice).
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thanks. I know that the whites are major allergens, but then I read stuff like this:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/eggs.htm

What this article talks about is generally how I feel about waiting to introduce foods. I know when DD#1 was born, the recommendations were totally different than they are now, although I see the momentum shifting again...I just wish someone knew for sure, kwim?

FWIW, I am certain we started DD on egg before a year because that was the recommendation. I thought it was around 9 months, but I can't really remember for sure.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm sure I've shared this before, but in other countries (particularly in Asia) soft steamed egg (the whole thing) is a very popular first baby food. I didn't give eggs to Dora for the first year because of my ped's rec. For Arwyn I fed her fried rice around 7 months from the food court before I realized there was egg in it. Laurel I fed steamed egg a couple weeks ago, and today she had a waffle with egg whites in it. She's fine

If your family has a history of food allergies I would of course be very cautious, but otherwise I really don't see the point (anymore) of waiting such long periods. I mean, if a kid is going to be allergic, does it really matter when the food is given? At least, according to the newest research, that seems to be my impression.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I thught the whites were protein, and the yolk was mostly fat and cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    I'm sure I've shared this before, but in other countries (particularly in Asia) soft steamed egg (the whole thing) is a very popular first baby food. I didn't give eggs to Dora for the first year because of my ped's rec. For Arwyn I fed her fried rice around 7 months from the food court before I realized there was egg in it. Laurel I fed steamed egg a couple weeks ago, and today she had a waffle with egg whites in it. She's fine

If your family has a history of food allergies I would of course be very cautious, but otherwise I really don't see the point (anymore) of waiting such long periods. I mean, if a kid is going to be allergic, does it really matter when the food is given? At least, according to the newest research, that seems to be my impression.
    This would be my general philosophy as well. I'm pretty sure tha I fed DD#1 Honey Nut Cheerios without ever giving it a second thought because that's the only kind we ever ate and in my mind cheerios = honey nut cheerios. She survived!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Indianamom2 View Post
    This would be my general philosophy as well. I'm pretty sure tha I fed DD#1 Honey Nut Cheerios without ever giving it a second thought because that's the only kind we ever ate and in my mind cheerios = honey nut cheerios. She survived!
    LOL! I fed the kids Honey Nut Cheerios too! Thinking the honey must be cooked many times over, so why worry about botulism?

If you're wanting more fat, you can try scrambling the egg in olive oil or even butter. Or add a little shredded cheese for an omelet. That would add flavor as well. I finally caved with trying to provide a no-salt diet. I wouldn't like saltless food. What makes me think my kids would like it any better? I don't use a lot, just a touch. But I use plenty of garlic and other spices.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/