Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nipple Shield q's

DD2 is now 2 weeks old, and on the advice of a LC, we've been using a nipple shield, due to my flat-ish nipples, and her very small mouth. We also supplement with a bottle and pump breastmilk after each feeding.

I've been reading a lot (maybe too much!) about how nipple shields are a bad idea, and it's really hard to transition back to a normal latch without the shield.

So, just curious...for those of you that used a shield early on, how long did you use it for? Were you able to wean them off of it, and if so, how did you do it? Did they ever learn to latch onto the breast without it?
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The nipple shield saved me with both kids.
    My book said it was a bad idea too but I would not have been able to breastfeed without that in the beginning.
    I used it for about 1-2 weeks for DD and about 3-4 for DS. They both were able to latch fine after that. I started weaning them off of it at night, and then eventually just one feeding at a time during the day.

ETA: Have you tried latching directly already? I only ended up doing the nipple shield because my nipples were just wrecked. It hurt so bad to nurse. But I was always putting DC right on the breast in the very beginning. If it doesn't hurt I would still try some time directly on the breast unless the LC advised otherwise.
    DD
    DS

I also used the nipple shield at the beginning of breast feeding. I was told by multiple sources, including nurses and LCs, that my nipples were inverted and the nipple shield was the only solution.

After many tries and after purchasing ALL the different sizes available for the shield, the LC recommended a size that was too large for me, my little guy decided he didn't need the shield anymore. (around 2-3 weeks)

So, for me, the transition was easy. I always made sure to try the breast first and if that didn't work, I would put on the shield and feed him.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mm123 View Post
    DD2 is now 2 weeks old, and on the advice of a LC, we've been using a nipple shield, due to my flat-ish nipples, and her very small mouth. We also supplement with a bottle and pump breastmilk after each feeding.

I've been reading a lot (maybe too much!) about how nipple shields are a bad idea, and it's really hard to transition back to a normal latch without the shield.

So, just curious...for those of you that used a shield early on, how long did you use it for?

1 day. DS had trouble latching on soon after birth and a bit after that. the nurse there told me my nipples were kind of flat and so to use a nipple shield to help him "grab" the nipple. what was a pain is that because i used the nipple shield, i had to pump after every feeding! i literally got NO sleep because of that, since pumping and then feeding it to him and washing pump parts etc made the feedings last a looong time
    Were you able to wean them off of it, and if so, how did you do it?

Yes. A different LC came in the 2nd day and told me i should try offering the nipple first before using it. Also, she gave me this cool thingy called LatchAssist by Lansinoh. That thing saved me. It basically draws the nipple out. Really helped DS latch on. I used it off and on after that whenever DS had trouble latching on (had difficulty around day 4 when i was really engorged after milk coming in). Then After 1 week or 2 i didn't even have to use LatchAssist anymore.

Did they ever learn to latch onto the breast without it?

Yep! DS is now almost 3 months old and i still EBF, never used a nipple shield except for that first day.
    here is a link to LatchAssist thingy and reviews
    http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/l...assist-reviews
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-01-2010 at 06:55 PM.

tmphilo is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I used the nipple shield with DD for 11 weeks I think. She had latching issues and it just went so much smoother with the nipple shield (saved my nipples somewhat since they were completely raw from the latching issues). I could have switched her earlier, but I was nervous to switch since we had troubles early on without the shield. DD did not have any problems switching between the shield and without or to binkies and bottles. Without the nipple shield, I'm not sure I would have lasted very long nursing DD.
    ~Tiffany
    Mommy to DD1 and DD2!

I used one, I had never heard anything bad about using them, so I didn't hesitate when my LC offered one up. DD was off of it at about 4 months. One day she just went for it before I was ready with the shield, and presto it was over.

I am soooo glad I was encouraged to use one, it saved our bf'ing, which I am still doing to this day a year and a half later.
    mom to one sweet little girl born in late '08
    and -surprise!- one sweet little boy born in late '11

Do what is best for you and your baby. The nipple shield is a great tool and a sanity-saver.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I used it for the first few weeks (2 or 3?) on the advice of an LC.
    I bought a second set to make it easier since I didn't want to have to get up and wash them everytime since DD was nursing very frequently. Good investment.
    It was not hard to transition off.

Congratulations!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I guess we are in the minority. We used one from the beginning and it GREATLY affected my supply and we were never able to wean from it. Ultimately due to supply issues, after 3 months, we were unable to continue breast feeding.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I used one with DD because of her tongue tie(she was killing my nipples). We used it until about 3-4 months. I was able to exclusively breastfeed her until 13 months. The shield saved our nursing relationship.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast