Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I used it for about 2 months. The lactation consultants told me to because I was having such a terrible time with breastfeeding in the beginning. It did take him longer than a lot of other babies to transition off of it, but once he did he was fine and I went on to BF until he turned 1. The nipple shield was a life saver. He would have had to have been on formula without it (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I used it for almost 6 weeks. If I didn't have it I don't think I would have even attempted to EFB. I started to wean off by trying to latch on without it first and then using it as a last resort. Truth be told it hurt pretty bad at first but it hurt less and less as time went on. At about 6-8 weeks we were nipple shield free and hurt free. You may want to try to give yourself and your little one a chance to try it out w/o the shield each time you BF but if either of you are getting stress just use the shield. At the end of the day if BFing your little one is important to you do it however it works for you. Also, if you can, try to get back to a LC and see if they will work with you to get off it. It can be done my little guy has is still EBF at almost 5 months. Hope this helps.
    Our one and only son...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2