Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What was your DC's first food?

DS is just over 5 months and as far as I can tell, not showing any signs of being ready for solids, other than having excellent motor skill development. My ped told us a month ago we were in the clear for starting rice cereal, then he advised vegetables and then fruit. He didn't specify why that order, but I assume so the baby doesn't grow attached to the sweetness of fruit.

I can't decide how we will precede. I have been reading about babyled and looking around the wholesome baby food site. DS is breastfed. I'm leaning toward skipping cereal for now and offering DS some avocado. Too bad they aren't in season.

What was your baby's first non-formula/bm food?
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We gave her mashed banana. I read somewhere it's similar to the taste of breastmilk. We also gave her mashed avocado, and rice cereal mixed with breastmilk. We waited until 6 months to start solids.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If DD had her way her first food would have been BBQ ribs. The first solids I fed both DC was mashed banana. And, I don't think I ever gave DD just plain rice cereal. I skipped it altogether with DS.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

we did rice cereal mixed with BM.......then oat cereal with BM and then started mxing in veggies with it. The Baby 411 book (that goes with the BBB) has a great food timeline and suggestions on when to introduce certain foods.
    I made a copy of it off my printer and just started checking off when DD had eaten certain foods.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

maiaann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenpig View Post
    We gave her mashed banana. I read somewhere it's similar to the taste of breastmilk. We also gave her mashed avocado, and rice cereal mixed with breastmilk. We waited until 6 months to start solids.
    This is exactly us. We introduced rice cereal at about 5 months and she gobbled that right up. Next was avocado (just because I had it in the house), and banana soon followed. We tried plain veggies first, plain fruits second, and gradually added mixed varieties. Now, at nearly 9 months she eats about everything.
    DD1 10/01
    DD2 02/07
    DD3 07/09

ged is online now Gold level (500+ posts)

avocado. skipped any and all cereals. my CSA just sent me 3 avocados this week, so it seems to be in season here (san diego)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sweet potatoes and bananas.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We just started banana with DS2. I put a piece in the baby safe feeder and let him go to town.

I think we did banana with DS1 as well.

We're not big on cereal here. We waited til 8ish months with DS1 and even then he wasn't a big fan. I doubt we'll even give it to DS2.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Apples then avocado for DD. Didn't try cereal until 7 months and don't think dd ever finshed the box.

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We started with rice cereal just before 4 months; then moved on to oatmeal. Both are mixed with breastmilk. Last week we started with banana (first with some breastmilk and then just straight banana) and then we just started avocado. Later this week we'll try sweet potatoes.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast