KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default When to take DC to dr?

DD is 6, she very rarely gets sick. She has been running a fever since 2pm yesterday. Then about 6pm she started throwing up. The fever got to 103 last night and Tylenol was not helping. She threw up about every 2 hrs all night. She hasn't thrown up yet this morning but shes still running a fever. My mom went to try and find a store open and get some Motrin hoping that would work better than the Tylenol.
    DD says she has a headache and is really nauseous. I've tried to get her to eat but she won't, she is drinking. I know she probably has a virus and the fever is because her body is fighting it off. If the fever continues but no more throwing up should I just wait it out or take her to the dr tomorrow? If she continues to throw up I plan to take her because I'm worried about her getting dehydrated. She is really pale and just doesn't look good.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

I think HOW she is acting is a better indicator than how many times she has thrown up.

Is she listless, sleeping much more than normal when sick. Are her mucous membranes dry, lips parched, and when she cries are there tears?

That fever is high, but not super high. If she's REALLY acting sick, then I would take her into urgent care tonight/md tomorrow. If she's just a little whiny, but not listless then I would wait.

Since she's throwing up, stop the solid foods. ONLY clear liquids (water, gatoraide, juice, broth, jello) until she's stopped throwing up for 6-8 hrs...THEN add milk products & bland solids.

Hope she feels better soon...

Motrin is pretty hard on an empty, or nauseous stomach. I'd probably skip Motrin, personally, because I think it might hurt her stomach as much or more than it helps the fever. Is there a nurse line you can call for advice? I'd wait til she asks for food, then try things like crackers, applesauce, yogurt. No dairy other than yogurt for a few days - it is hard on the stomach after GI upset. FWIW, my DD gets a headache with fevers too. Hope she feels better soon!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Sounds similar to what DD#1 had here about two weeks ago. She didn't have as much vomitting, but she did have a fever and her fever got up to 105 and stayed quite high for about 4 full days and then lowered a bit for another 2 days or so. It was a long week, but it was just a virus.

And if she's vomitting, forget about solids and just offer small sips of gatorade, sprite, ginger ale, etc...

Hang in there.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

I agree with the "how is she acting".

If she is listless or won't take fluids, get her in.

If she is taking fluids and seems okayish (but sick), treat her with lots of liquid and alternating ibu/tylenol every 4 hours. If the fever doesn't come down, you can DOUBLE the doses per my ped. I always err on the side of caution, but if the fever isn't coming down I up the meds.

I only take them to the ped if I think she will tell me something I don't know. 9 times out of 10 it is meds and fluids, so we stay home.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If she can keep fluids in and seems sick but responsive and will laugh on occasion I'd not take her in. If she can't keep fluid in, is listless or really out of it I'd take her in. HUGS.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for all the responses. DD felt a lot better yesterday afternoon but then about 6 her fever came back. She ran a fever about 103 all night and just couldn't sleep. She hasn't thrown up again but now she is complaining of a sore throat and says her head & neck hurt. She feels okay when her fever goes down but when its high she just looks awful. I think I'm just going to take her into the dr this afternoon.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10