Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Neither of my kids would take bottles and both have been to weddings with me where I nursed them. I would forget the pump/bottles personally - that will be just as much work (if not more so) than nursing. Just nurse right before you leave, and find a secluded place to nurse if you're not comfortable NIP. Most reception locations have really nice bathrooms with a separate 'lounge' with couches you could use.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx again for the replies. i agree nursing is usually easier..no having to prepare in advance or warm up bottles etc. however the one downside to nursing is..even if i find a nice place to nurse (say a chair in a lounge area), i won't have my nursing pillow with me. the one time i nursed w/o a nursing pillow (when i nursed in public) my back was really sore from it, since that time he decided to nurse for 15 mins. oh well. i guess i could use a diaper bag as a nursing pillow or something

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would totally just find a quiet corner somewhere to nurse (if you are comfortable with nursing in public). Otherwise, pumping would work and milk should stay good for 8 hours at room temp! I've also had friends who asked the hotel to keep a "bag" for them in the restaurant kitchen fridge. They just didn't say what was in the "bag" (because otherwise I think it's not allowed since it's considered a "body fluid"). Or - bring a couple of ice packs and ask that they freeze it for you. Good luck!

Smile

Most hotels have mini fridges you can store the milk in.

In my experience I felt comfortable nursing in quiet alcoves or areas throughout the church and the reception areas.

Most folks are too busy mingling and talking about the wedding, they don't notice.

Also, you can also nurse our baby in the car, if you feel you need more privacy but you'll be surprised how many nice places at a reception area there are you can use to nurse.

Oh, I also bought my ergo with me. Towards the end of the night, my daughter nursed and fell asleep on me. Everyone just thought she was asleep on me but she happily nursed in private and fell asleep.

Have fun, relax and enjoy the wedding!
    Mom, Wife and Finder of lost items
    AP-er, Breastfeeder, Babywearing, No Circ Mama

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I was so worried about having to nurse w/o the pillow with ds1. Necessity breeds innovation though- I was stuck out all day due to a health care emergency with dh when ds1 was 4mo and I had to nurse him in all sorts of weird places. Purses and jackets rolled up on the armrests help but even w/o that you'll make it work.

Beth

You have a while to practice NIP before the wedding, so I would practice now and forget the bottles. No one is going to be offended that you're feeding your baby. Are you wearing your baby? I ask because although I suck at nursing in a wrap, they do provide nice cover. I've done it recently at the grocery store, Just Between Friends sale while standing in the checkout line, restaurants, church, and friend's houses.

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pantrygirl View Post
    Most folks are too busy mingling and talking about the wedding, they don't notice.
    That's what I was thinking.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Okay, so I BTDT'd last summer. Brought along one bottle of pumped to keep DS quiet during the ceremony. He was one month old, I think. It was in an old mansion, so I went upstairs where there was a couch area near the bedrooms. A few members of the bridal party let me use their room..
    When DS was about 6 weeks old, my father had a retirement party at a banquet hall. There was a lounge style bathroom so it worked out really well. My advice- bring an extra no wrinkle top just in case. I wore a skirt and top set.

I personally have never had any qualms with bf'ing in public, however I know it can make some people uncomfortable. My son flat out refuses to take a bottle. What I would do is just nurse right before the wedding and right when you get there discuss with an usher or someone else who can help you to find a private place to nurse. Good for you that you have taken the initiative to bf. It's the most natural and healthy thing that you could do for your child and you should never feel embarassed or uncomfortable about that. (and that's what I would say to someone if they objected) Rock on Momma!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thx again for the replies. i agree nursing is usually easier..no having to prepare in advance or warm up bottles etc. however the one downside to nursing is..even if i find a nice place to nurse (say a chair in a lounge area), i won't have my nursing pillow with me. the one time i nursed w/o a nursing pillow (when i nursed in public) my back was really sore from it, since that time he decided to nurse for 15 mins. oh well. i guess i could use a diaper bag as a nursing pillow or something
    part of the reason I almost always fed a bottle in public either breast milk or formula. The lounge at Nordstroms was great, I loved it and one of the few places I did NIP. I know there are many proponents of NIP anywhere and that's great, but yeah for some of us with back or other comfort issues it's not necessarily the best option. I would call the reception hall and ask about their bathroom situation and if it has a lounge or at least a comfy chair. Honestly if it's not that much of a hassle I'd bring the pump and the bottles.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast