Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Question for working parents who have a nanny

If your DC is sick, do you stay home from work, or does the nanny still come to the house and watch your DC?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Our nanny still comes. She just won't take him to his classes if he has any that day or out around other children. It's one of the huge benefits of having in-our-home care as opposed to a care facility or bringing him to someone else's home.
    Of course, if he's really really ill, I'll stay home with him. But even when J had pink eye about a month ago, our nanny was willing and did take him to the pedi (granted, the pedi is literally around the corner, but still), filled his perscription and gave him the first dose of drops! Have I mentioned we love love LOVE our nanny?!
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My mom was a nanny; she generally would take care of the little girl when she was sick unless it was something really bad. Generally the parents would take her to the pediatrician (their preference) but she had an authorization form to do so if needed. She would pick up and give medication all the time.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't have a nanny, but most of my coworkers (the few that have kids) do and the nannies are definitely responsible for looking after sick children. Most/many nannies here are from "offshore" and are typically nurses in their home country (often the Phillipines).
    Last edited by bubbaray; 04-05-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm in school, not work but yeah, unless the girls are really sick, she stays with them and I go to school/study.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yep, she cares for them unless they are really sick. Vomiting falls under "really sick" in my book.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our nanny took care of the children as usual. I was in a patient centered field in which I could not stay home on a whim, so if they were terribly ill--which was never actually--DH would have had to stay home with them.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ours still comes too. I feel bad that she is exposing herself to the germs like that but we both see it as a "job hazard" that comes with being a nanny.
    DD
    DS

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

THanks everyone. I'm trying to decide how to handle a situation with a coworker.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I will say that our nanny usually stayed with our kids when they were sick with a cold or something minor. If there was vomiting involved, I called in sick.

It's really a very personal thing as to whether someone is comfortable letting another person care for their children when they are sick. I don't know what your situation is with your coworker, but if she's a very protective parent, she may not feel comfortable leaving when her kids are sick.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast