Default 14 mo grinding teeth

DD is 14 mo. She has 4 teeth, all in the front, 2 on top & 2 on the bottom. Last week she started tapping them together. I don't know if she likes the feel or the sound or both, but that seemed fine. But yesterday she started grinding them. The sound is driving me nuts...mostly because I'm concerned that she's doing damage. Has anyone else BTDT? Discussed it with ped or dentist?
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD is almost 2 and still scrapes her front teeth together. While it's horrible to listen to, lots of moms and the pediatrician have told me it's normal. Trying to get DD to knock it off seems to make it more appealing, so we ignore it. Hang in there!

Both kids did this for a while when they got top and bottom teeth. They both stopped within a short while (month or so), but man, it seemed like freakin' forever!!!
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

Carrots is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

OH! That sound is just horrid, isn't it? It gives me the chills to think about.

DD would grind her front teeth when she was teething other teeth. I haven't heard her do it in a while (she is 22 months). If we were home, I would try to distract her with an activity, like coloring or playing in the sink with bath toys to get get her mind off the grinding. If we were in the car.... forget it. I'd turn up the radio a little louder.

I never talked to the ped or dentist about it.
    Kristen
    Mom to:
    DD, A 5 years
    DD, K 3 years

and my three born sleeping

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS is also 14mo and it drives me nuts! He's been doing that since he was about 9 mo when he got his teeth. He still does it, and ped said there's nothing I could really do. So, I keep chiding him, and at the same time distract him, or offer him something else to chew on.