Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by misshollygolightly View Post
    I'm an English lit grad student, so lots and lots of crushes on characters here! One of my first and most enduring book-crushes was on Finny from John Knowles's _A Separate Peace_. There's this mouth-watering description of him wearing a pale blue shirt that sets off his tan as he walks along a beach. *Sigh* Basically, though, I fall in love with at least half the characters in half the books I read. Sheesh.
    This was my first literary crush, too! It's been years since I've read A Separate Peace. Must dig up my copy.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Thank goodness some of you mentioned Edward!

I just started the series- I'm halfway through Twilight and I am so excited about how much more I have to read! I read during lunch and I'm still a little off-kilter from being soooo fluttery over him. I actually had to take a few minutes to get my head back after lunch, and I'm still smirking. He's just so yummy.

I haven't felt like this since Rhett Butler!
    Becca- 02/2009

Quote Originally Posted by catroddick View Post
    Thank goodness some of you mentioned Edward!

I just started the series- I'm halfway through Twilight and I am so excited about how much more I have to read! I read during lunch and I'm still a little off-kilter from being soooo fluttery over him. I actually had to take a few minutes to get my head back after lunch, and I'm still smirking. He's just so yummy.

I haven't felt like this since Rhett Butler!
    ooh, just getting started!! i'm all fluttery for you!! sigh...
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    So, in the Outlander books, are the first 200 pages of every book a snooze? I don't know if I have that much time to get to the good stuff....
    It's just that first one where I fought to stick with it in the beginning. Until the 5th book where I had quite the hard time getting into it. There are so many characters, I forgot!

I agree with the Romance. If you don't like Romance, these books aren't for you. They are sold in the Romance section. but I don't consider them true Romance novels. They're kind of Historical Fiction meets Romance meets Science Fiction. They historically reference very real things that really did happen (but don't think for a minute that the events aren't fictionalized, they totally are). If you'e not into Historical Fiction, you can get past that. If you're not into Science Fiction, you should be able to get past that, as it's a means to an end. But if you don't like Romance, you can't get past that.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    It's just that first one where I fought to stick with it in the beginning. Until the 5th book where I had quite the hard time getting into it. There are so many characters, I forgot!

I agree with the Romance. If you don't like Romance, these books aren't for you. They are sold in the Romance section. but I don't consider them true Romance novels. They're kind of Historical Fiction meets Romance meets Science Fiction. They historically reference very real things that really did happen (but don't think for a minute that the events aren't fictionalized, they totally are). If you'e not into Historical Fiction, you can get past that. If you're not into Science Fiction, you should be able to get past that, as it's a means to an end. But if you don't like Romance, you can't get past that.
    Everything she said.
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post

Historical fiction and Science fiction and Romance in one novel....Interesting. Out of all of those, I like historical fiction the most, select science fiction (Ursula LeGuin), and have only read a few romance novels in college...
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

malphy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Since I am now hooked on the Sookie stackhouse books (because of this board, lol) I would definitely say Eric.

Bill is okay but there is just something about this Eric guy that makes me hot.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Eric is a real fantasy character in the books. I personally advise avoiding watching the series until you're done reading the books since I personally think the guy they cast as Eric looks like a very tall, strung-out Macauley Culkin.

Historical fiction and Science fiction and Romance in one novel....Interesting. Out of all of those, I like historical fiction the most, select science fiction (Ursula LeGuin), and have only read a few romance novels in college...
    OK, you sound a lot like me, and I have to confess Outlander to me was so-so historical fiction and TERRIBLE science fiction. But still kinda entertaining. In that the-fourth-Twilight-book way if you know what I mean (trying to avoid giving away spoilers!)
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    OK, you sound a lot like me, and I have to confess Outlander to me was so-so historical fiction and TERRIBLE science fiction. But still kinda entertaining. In that the-fourth-Twilight-book way if you know what I mean (trying to avoid giving away spoilers!)
    so... if i kinda hated the fourth twilight book, should i avoid outlander?
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Eric is a real fantasy character in the books. I personally advise avoiding watching the series until you're done reading the books since I personally think the guy they cast as Eric looks like a very tall, strung-out Macauley Culkin.

Haha. I haven't read the Twilight books yet, but that's a funny reference. I'm thinking of getting started on them, as I just read Midnight Sun and found it entertaining.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6