Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have a whole collection that we've doled out over time - Remo tom tom, glockenspiel in a case, Hilo ukulele, plastic fish guiro, tambourine, etc. mostly from WestMusic.com. We haven't done the family band thing lately, but it's lots of fun when we do!

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

What about a bounce house? Our kids go nuts for ours and it has served us well for birthday parties and playdates!
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Music classes are a great idea as are classes in general. If I had someones money to spend I would skip the toys and go for something like yoga classes or a semester at the Little Gym..maybe a pool pass or swim classes. Dd2 does yoga and they have so much fun.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jent View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. DH and I went over the list together last night. He even had his own suggestion-- a musical instrument, since she is very into music ever since we took music class together. (Though we can't figure out what exactly).

I think maybe I'll run through a few options with my dad and see what he likes.
    Remo drums are good quality. I got a small (real) guitar at BRU for $20 on sale. It's much better than the cheap ukelele I got at first b/c it has real strings, rather than plastic strings. Plan toys has a wooden drum, quality maracas, harmonica, tamborine, xylophone...
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh..do you have a nice sturdy easel?

Honestly, my parents, instead of buying stuff, will buy one present maybe $40, add something like a couple pairs of pajamas or a dress too, and then will put $200 into the kid's 529 plan. We don't need more stuff either, DD gets a gift to open, and that $200 would be of better use to the kids invested for their education than in stuff we'll eventually give to goodwill anyway.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the further suggestions, guys!

I like the Remo drums, Sally. Our Music Together class uses them and they are nice! I also thought of getting a nice guitar, just don't know if DD is a bit too young-- though one of her classmates has a small guitar, and brought it to class to share, and they all loved taking turns playing with it.

I do like the classes idea, but I'm not sure my dad will go for it. They live to far away to take her to a class (except for a rare occasion) so I don't think it will really feel to them as though they are giving it to her.

And yeah, we do have an easel-- the big gift from the other grandparents at Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by secchick View Post
    Honestly, my parents, instead of buying stuff, will buy one present maybe $40, add something like a couple pairs of pajamas or a dress too, and then will put $200 into the kid's 529 plan. We don't need more stuff either, DD gets a gift to open, and that $200 would be of better use to the kids invested for their education than in stuff we'll eventually give to goodwill anyway.
    I wish my dad felt this way, but he likes to give something tangible. Well, he does (often) do the monetary gift thing, but he also likes to give a big tangible gift too. And if I don't come up with one gift on the pricier side, he will then come up with lots of little additional gifts-- more stuff that we don't need. This is what happened last birthday when I gave him a $40 gift idea.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The first guitar I got for DS was when he was 2yo. He really wanted one, so I got small ukelele. It had plastic strings, but he loved it. Later, I got the child sized one at TRU on sale for $20 (I think it's normally $30) and it is really much nicer, but still not so expensive that you'll cry if it breaks. I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a guitar, but I don't think $20-$30 is bad. DS did great with his at 2 and for sure at 3yo.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The Hilo Ukulele we got from a local music store was light years better than the First Act one at TRU. I paid $30 with a coupon, and it sounds really nice, is tunable, etc. My DS1 is younger than your DD and has had it since he was 25mos. It is by FAR his favorite item. I wish I could post a video of him playing, singing and swinging his hips. Your dad would probably enjoy a video of your DD doing all that with one once she gets going!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2