Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Edensmum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What baby items contain flame retardent?

I am getting more concerned about the things we have around the kids. I try to buy organic but I don't always trust that it does not contain harmful components. Is there a way to identify children's products that contain flame retardents? For example,sleep sacs like Halo, say organic, but are sleepwear, do they contain them? What about the same product from Carters? Hanna zippers? Day wear?
    What about arcylic fibers? I have several marshmellow tops from Hanna, and now I hear there is a concern with acrylic fabric. I also have blankets from this material.
    Do you worry about this stuff?
    Any good recommendations for blankets, sleepwear Etc that you trust?

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Polyester/fleece PJs are treated with flame retardant - which is why I only buy them used. I think this is true for any brand that's sold in the US. Loose fitting cotton night clothes like night gowns are also treated. But snug fitted cotton ones (like Hanna LJs or Gap/Gymboree gymmies) are not.

Many baby mattresses are also treated with flame retardant. I believe you can get organic mattresses that aren't, but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't believe acrylic or fleece day wear is treated - I've never heard that the marshmallow jackets are treated. Most products say if they've been treated, so that's one good rule of thumb.

for Sandy Hook

I went totally bonkers with this last pregnancy (I seriously think I developed a little OCD!) about everything being non-toxic/natural/and organic. So I have a TON of research I can post. It just might take a little time and a few posts as I get to it.

Actually, most polyester and fleece is NOT treated with flame retardants, because it is inherent in it's chemical nature not to melt, and to resist flames (weird since it is basically made from plastic--which is why I won't buy it for my kids unless it's an outwear garment...no PJ's or clothes that touch their skin). There is no real reason for a manufacturer to apply a F.R to something that already is flame-retardant. If you look at a lot of polyester PJ's they will say "this item does not contain a flame retardant; please keep away from cigarettes and open flame." Ever notice that Hannah Andersson fleece pajamas are loose and baggy, but they say they aren't treated? That's why.

Here's a few things off the top of my head:
    -Anything organic cannot, by law, contain any flame retardants.
    -Carters does not apply ANY kind of finisher to their cotton. It is pure cotton (still grown with pesticides), but they don't apply flame retardants, stain proofers, anti-wrinkling agents, fixatives, etc.
    -Same goes for Gymboree & Hannah Andersson (who makes a lot of their clothing organic anyway).
    -Pottery Barn bedding doesn't contain any F.R

Many clothing companies will call something loose fitting a "sleep and play" to get around not applying a F.R. because if it is called Sleep-wear, then by law, it has to be treated or else snug-fitting (ex. Children's Place, Old Navy, and Gap jammies).

Carseats, swings, pack-n-plays, bouncy seats, highchairs...all have F.R on them Even good European ones including Britax.

Most mattresses unless you buy an organic one have all sorts of flame retardants and chemicals in them, including PVC--yuck.

Any other questions? Then I'll know what to post next

Edited to add: From my research, ALL fleece is treated with a formaldehyde finisher, that takes at least 5-6 washes to get out. Why? Not sure. But when I was buying some fleece at a fabric store to make a cloth-diaper cover, the sales lady pulled me off to the side when no one else was listening and said she used to be a fabric buyer for a large company, and it was industry standard practice for all fleece to be treated with formaldehyde. She wanted to let me know since I was pregnant, and about to have fleece near my baby. She said she wouldn't recommend expectant moms handle the fabric at all until until it has been washed numerous times. Apparently there was a store worker there who had such a severe allergy to the stuff after working at the fabric store for years, that she has to step away from the cutting table anytime someone needs fleece cut. Otherwise she breaks out in hives and her throat swells up. Yikes! I went on to contact a few fabric manufacturers and they conformed this was the case (as was the fact that most polyester and fleece isn't treated with a F.R. because there isn't a need, and it's therefore an extra cost for them to do it).

Ever notice cashiers at Walmart wearing medical type gloves? It's because of them having an allergy to the fabric finishers on the clothing, including formaldehyde. That should tell you something about buying cheap clothes there (or at least washing everything A LOT before baby wears it).
    Last edited by daisymommy; 04-07-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

what about blankets from carter, the ones like polyester, those that are soft?

Also, I'm still unclear why flame retardant is bad. Please enlighten!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post

Carseats, swings, pack-n-plays, bouncy seats, highchairs...all have F.R on them Even good European ones including Britax.
    There's a good reason for fire retardants in car seat covers - to stop the seat from catching on fire in an accident, so you have time to get the child out of the seat. I'll dig up a picture that was posted on car-seat.org. A lady's car caught on fire and you can see the damage that was not done to the car seats and what was done to the surrounding car. You want FR on car seat. You can let them air out for a few days before using to help with the chemically smell if it's there. All car seat covers MUST have fire retardant on them, and you do not want to replace the cover with a home-made cover that is flammable. Without FR, these seats would have caught on fire much more quickly.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=51253
    Last edited by niccig; 04-07-2010 at 04:18 PM.

Because they are toxic, cause cancer, build up in our bodies and don't ever leave, cause hormonal and endocrine problems. That's just a few of the problems.

And no Carters doesn't apply a finisher or F.R to ANY of their products, including bedding. At least that is what 3 different people at the corporate level told me.

I agree, there are some things like a carseat where it's a necessary evil.
    Last edited by daisymommy; 04-07-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Actually, most polyester and fleece is NOT treated with flame retardants, because it is inherent in it's chemical nature not to melt, and to resist flames (weird since it is basically made from plastic--which is why I won't buy it for my kids unless it's an outwear garment...no PJ's or clothes that touch their skin). There is no real reason for a manufacturer to apply a F.R to something that already is flame-retardant. If you look at a lot of polyester PJ's they will say "this item does not contain a flame retardant; please keep away from cigarettes and open flame." Ever notice that Hannah Andersson fleece pajamas are loose and baggy, but they say they aren't treated? That's why.
    Is this right? I always thought that the poly stuff was treated with flame retardant - the PJs are fairly baggy, and are in fact highly flammable. No? I would love to know that Carter's PJs, Hanna fleece, etc are not treated but I believe they are.

for Sandy Hook

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've also heard that Carter's doesn't put FR on their fleece pj's. I have bought other fleece pj's (LL Bean, maybe--correct me if I'm wrong) that do have it on there. Formaldehyde is icky. On The Doctors, Dr. Sears said that a friend bought a new fleece pullover and put it on wo/washing and broke out in hives.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Because they are toxic, cause cancer, build up in our bodies and don't ever leave, cause hormonal and endocrine problems. That's just a few of the problems.

And no Carters doesn't apply a finisher or F.R to ANY of their products, including bedding. At least that is what 3 different people at the corporate level told me.

I agree, there are some things like a carseat where it's a necessary evil.
    hmmm, wondering if the colgate classica I mattress I bought for DS' crib has it, and if so, what can I do now???

I might be wrong. But I heard somewhere that Carters had no FR up to 9 mos cloth. After that, they do use FR for their PJ.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast