Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Well, its not the exact news you were probably hoping for, but you have a plan and I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elektra View Post
    DS had been making some great progress since I first posted this. He started doing a sort of army crawl and can now hold himself up standing, if we get him in that position. I still called the EI number (thanks Melinda!) as soon as I got back from my trip though, and they told me that there was a free screening through some program today, and I took DS.
    Well he is not doing as well as I thought apparently.
    They gave him a "fail" on the gross motor skills and he is behind in everything else except hearing, emotional health, and general health. So speech/language, fine motor and vision are all behind, but still within the range of normal. They said I need to follow up with an optometrist. DH has glasses an inch thick so this isn't a shocker but just another bummer that I was hoping we could avoid.
    I realize I was just in denial about where DS should be by now. It was so weird because I was so hesitant to take him, and made up all these excuses for myself. I'm really glad I did follow through now, and we will now have the PT come to the house to do the more in- depth assessment. So it is actually possible that he won't need therapy but at this point I hope he does qualify because he does need the help. He still cannot get to a sitting position on his own or pull himself up to standing. The therapist at the place we went this morning also said he had low muscle tone.
    They were all very nice, and again, I'm glad I went.

I am now thinking maybe I need to get DD checked out now too, even though her 3-year well check was fine. I'm just doubting everything!
    You can't let yourself think that you guys did anything wrong. Kids develop at all different speeds. I had a child who I thought would never talk and to make matters worse was very shy so even though she knew some words you would've thought she was mute. Best thing I ever did was keep an open mind and get her tested. I am glad that you took DS and got some sort of diagnosis and who knows maybe the optometrist is the first step and that could make things a whole lot better. DH is competitive by nature and just last week he told me recently that the best thing he ever did when DD was having her speech issues 1 and 2 yrs. ago was to not compare her to anyone as at that time as some of DD's little friends could complete sentences, say their ABCs, and knew their parents first names or phone numbers or something crazy that we had no clue any 2 yr. old would know. DD now has glasses too (just like DH and we kind of expected that) and our next step is a referral to an opthamologist to make sure she doesn't have a lazy eye. Kids are an adventure and you just have to look at it that way! Good luck!
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I understand you're disappointed, but give yourself a pat on the back for following through. Now he can get help before any of it becomes a long-term problem! DD had a really hard time getting to sitting up on her own, pulling up, etc. Low muscle tone...just like you mentioned in your update. A lot of that I just would have brushed off if it wasn't for EI. Her therapists have really made a difference for her and in teaching us what to do to help her. It'll pay off and someday you'll be watching him cruising along the furniture like my DD is now.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Nice job mama! It is hard but soooo great to get involved as early as you are! Nice work.

DS qualified for verbal skills and after 3 months was back on track!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I'm sorry that you didn't get the news/reassurance you were hoping for, but HUGE pats on the back for taking him in! So many parents just expect these issues to correct themselves and don't give their children the opportunities and help they could really use (something we're actually dealing with in our family right now).

Now that y'all are being proactive and taking advantage of the resources available to you, I'm sure he'll be caught up in no time. Way to go mama!
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

i'm sorry you're feeling in doubt - but clearly you're doing some great parenting!! your DS is lucky you guys are so on top of his needs!

we're having our EI next week - thanks to the suggestions of this board - and i'm a little nervous too. but no matter the outcome, i see it as a win
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm glad you had the screen done. Best thing now is that he will get the services sooner than later. I had heard it's harder to get services in CA now because of budget, but I'm very glad they came through for you. Don't worry, all the sessions will be fun for your DS.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Elektra, I know how you are feeling. It is scary to think that something could be wrong with one's DC, but trust me, the therapies will do your DS a world of good. You should have seen my DS. He was not even sitting unassisted at 9 months. A week after therapy, he was sitting. He was stiff as a board, would not bend his legs or even roll on the floor. At 12 months, he started crawling. He now crawls like a spider and is constantly going up and down stairs. His improvement has been remarkable. Don't feel bad. You did the right thing for your DS and now he will get the help he needs to put him back on track. Hugs and good job!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4