Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default how to respond to: What does sexy mean?

My 7 year old DD just asked me "What does sexy mean?" She heard it on he bus (our source for everything inappropriate). I told her it was a grown up word but she is not satisfied with that!
    SAHM to:

My seven year old came home with the same question, also from the bus! Must be going around.

I told her it was a grown-up word and not something kids should be saying. I was prepared to say it had to do with grown up women and men who want to make a baby together, but she didn't go any further with it.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Off the top of my head, I think I'd be tempted to say something along the lines of, "Sexy means dressing or acting in a way that is inappropriate for young girls or boys" and leave it at that. Or maybe something like, "Sexy means dressing or acting in an adult way to get attention."

That's a really tough one without getting into too much detail. Good luck.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, this is too funny b/c my 7 yr old dd is complaining that one of the girls (also 7) at her school is saying "sexy girl, sexy girl". She asked what that means, and I felt kind of a loss too. I know I said something about it being inappropriate for kids in elementary school, but I wasnt happy with my answer to her.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I sat at my ds' lunch table at school last year when he was in 2nd grade and the kids started saying the word 'sexy.' I felt like I had to address it. I went the route of trying to make it less of a forbidden word and taking away, well, the sexiness of the word, and said it just means 'attractive' or 'good looking' but that it was not a word that kids should be using.

I mentioned it to ds' teacher and she said I did well.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by g-mama View Post
    said it just means 'attractive' or 'good looking' but that it was not a word that kids should be using.
    I keep wondering when I will get this question---DS1 reads everything in his line of sight. This pretty much is my answer I've decided.
    K

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by g-mama View Post
    I sat at my ds' lunch table at school last year when he was in 2nd grade and the kids started saying the word 'sexy.' I felt like I had to address it. I went the route of trying to make it less of a forbidden word and taking away, well, the sexiness of the word, and said it just means 'attractive' or 'good looking' but that it was not a word that kids should be using.

I mentioned it to ds' teacher and she said I did well.
    ITA. Hopefully, giving them a definition takes some of the allure away from using it. Next week, they'll be into another fun word!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

yeah and my 4 year old loves all those swiffer commercials where the mop falls in love with the broom or the broom with the pink flamingo and the song plays "who's that lady, who's that lady.... sexy lady... who's that lady!". Now he runs around singing "who's that lady, who's that lady... SEXY mommy, who's that lady!" LOL.

I guess if it isn't such a forbidden word then the kids will get over it. I would tell my child it is a more adult word and it means being attractive to another person.

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tondi G View Post
    yeah and my 4 year old loves all those swiffer commercials where the mop falls in love with the broom or the broom with the pink flamingo and the song plays "who's that lady, who's that lady.... sexy lady... who's that lady!". Now he runs around singing "who's that lady, who's that lady... SEXY mommy, who's that lady!" LOL.

I guess if it isn't such a forbidden word then the kids will get over it. I would tell my child it is a more adult word and it means being attractive to another person.
    SEXY mommy - I love it! My 4yo lately hugs me and says "Little Mommy" for some unknown reason. I'll take it, LOL!

But yes, it kinda took the wind out of their sales and they all got quiet like, "oh. huh." It demystified the word and when they realized it didn't mean anything shocking, it was no longer as appealing and they moved on to talking about other things.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

This is not helpful...

My (then) four-year-old DD was in her room playing and talking to herself. I overheard a word that sounded like "sexy," so I moved in closer. She was actually saying something more like "suxy," but I was curious, so I asked her what it meant. She kept playing and explained to me that it means someone has "a big and pretty bottom."

I nearly peed my pants.
    Jane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast