Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS is getting to the age where he wants a little bit of privacy. The other night he said, "Mom, how about you walk away for a few minutes."

I'm comfortable being on the same floor, with the door cracked, and I do a quick peek, or call out his name every few minutes. A lot of times I can hear him talking or singing too.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My girls often prefer to take their baths separately so they can have full reign of the bath toys. But they do occasionally bathe together.

4.5 year old I will let be in their alone-she bathes in my bathtub since it's a big garden tub. I'm with DD2 in my attached bedroom playing games or watching TV. The door to the bathroom is open so I can see her. I will go down the hall to put away clothes or whatever, but can always here.

2.5 year old also bathes in mine. I will also leave the bathroom for short periods but only to go in my room (again attached-door open) with 4.5 year old.

My #1 rule when they bathe together: Don't drown your sister.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The only rule we have is no jumping in the tub. We do let them stand up because we ask them to stand up anyway so we can wash their bums, and so we can lift them out of the tub. And we let them turn off the water, pull the switch to turn the shower on, pull the plug level to empty the tub, etc. Dh was the one who had them do all those things early on, probably to make bathtime more interesting? It's never really been a problem. The only problem we had recently was Arwyn turning the water on, then off. It's those single levers, and it freaked me out, because when she's yarding on it, she could accidentally turn it back on really cold, or really hot. She only does it when bath is over now, so nobody's in the line of fire.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LexyLou View Post

Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS1, nearly 6, needs a bit of supervision because he's a big splasher and if I don't watch, the entire room will be soaked.

DD, 3.75, will bathe for 30 minutes every day if she could. She just makes her mermaids swim, etc. She's very calm, but talks the entire time. I'm good with her in there alone with me on the same floor.

DS2 is only 21 months and he is fully supervised.

Both DD and DS1 can shower by themselves as well, but usually it's in the morning and I'm still in my bedroom getting ready.
    Kris

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

All right. I feel better now. That thread down in the BP just had me feeling like a completely negligent mother.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LexyLou View Post

Our girls (nearly 6 and 3) always bathe together. DH usually does the baths and leaves them alone to play together for at least a few minutes. I'm not comfortable with that like he is (he goes to the main floor, they are in the tub upstairs). But, they've been doing this for a long time now. When I bathe them, I stay on the same floor as them, but do leave the room for a while so they can play. FWIW, bath time is a horrible, wretched scream-fest for us, so that is also why DH leaves the vicinity. At least when they are playing, it is quiet.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well older DD takes a shower on her own now, but I usually like to check to make sure she rinsed her hair well enough.

Younger DD likes to linger in the bath for a longggggggg time. Way longer than I can sit there. So I will usually walk around the upper floor of the house (where the kids bathroom is) and do chores (put away laundry, etc.). Like a PP mentioned, she is a singer/talker in the tub, so she keeps up a steady stream of chatter and I'm in there every minute or so.

My main concern isn't with drowning, it's with her slipping and falling and hitting her head. She knows not to get up, but if I don't get there fast enough when she yells "Mom, I'm done! I'm cold! I want to get out!" then she will try to get out on her own. Once she did slip and fall, but thankfully did not hit her head and she has been more cautious since then.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Younger DD likes to linger in the bath for a longggggggg time.
    DD has rediscovered her love for ridiculously lengthy baths in the warmer weather we've been having. She's like a porpoise...she's in there for 45 minutes if I let her, talking to her critters and carrying on. She actually asked to take a bath last night.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    My main concern isn't with drowning, it's with her slipping and falling and hitting her head. She knows not to get up, but if I don't get there fast enough when she yells "Mom, I'm done! I'm cold! I want to get out!" then she will try to get out on her own. Once she did slip and fall, but thankfully did not hit her head and she has been more cautious since then.
    Yes, this is more my concern, but as he's older I worry less about it. DS has asked for my privacy lately, so I'm sure he'll bathe by himself soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2