Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is there any way you could get a doctor to excuse you medically from an actual court appearance? Either your own doctor or your child's pediatrician?

I am not a lawyer, have never studied law, but I know that when I was on bed rest with my pregnancies, no subpeona was going to get me into a courtroom. There has to be an excuse for medical reasons.

I do think it's important for you to provide whatever information they need. But I also think it's important for you to be a mom. There must be some way to reconcile the two (legally).

Good luck.
    Last edited by sariana; 04-09-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    If you are subpoenaed, you have to go, regardless of pretty much anything.

I would guess that your testimony is wanted by the opposing party, so they can cross examine you on your qualifications and opinion. Just a guess.

You could ask the school's lawyer if you could give your evidence either by way of deposition or affidavit or some other means (do they do interrogatories there?), but my guess is they want you in court for cross examination.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

azazela is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks again all. I appreciate unbiased feedback, all good points. When I spoke to my director and asked the actual reasoning for me to appear, she said it was in case they would need my expertise. I'd rather not make all these arrangements and leave my newborn just "in case" and told her so (politely and professionally). If it's just an expertise of a school psychologist that they need, they have quite a few of those to go around. Also if I remember correctly (this is not my case so I don't remember all the details) the parents are asking for a independent reading evaluation, not a new psychological. We decided that she'd speak to the district's attorney and let me know ASAP. I really hope I can get away with a deposition. I'd hate to leave my son just to go sit in a courtroom for a day for a possible few minutes worth of testimony.

And to the poster who said she participated as needed during her leave, I do as well. A coworker frequently calls me with questions about my caseload and I, of course, give her whatever info she needs. I feel that this situation is different.
    Anna, mommy to DD 11/06 and DS 3/10

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2