Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question S/O: Do you donate blood?

Why or why not?
    Care to describe how the pain compares to other things for those of us who are too chicken to do it?

Thanks!

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

yes, i have - though not regularly b/c i am off-n-on anemic

it hurts...it's a pretty big frickin' needle.

not to be too graphic, but i usually feel it "pop" into my arm

and though i'm looking the other way, the feeling of the "pop" usually makes me feel a bit queasy

as for why...i guess i just view it as why not?

my body is constantly making more

there is a need for it

so, why not

it hurts...but not that badly. like, other than maybe feeling a bit lightheaded for a short time afterward, i have never had any residual pain or reason that made me think twice the next time
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I haven't done it in a while since I always seem to be pregnant or nursing, and it's just not convenient for me. But I used to all the time in college. And I think I did whenever the opportunity arose. Dh used to donate to the Red Cross regularly before we moved. He'd get a call every few months and off he'd go.

I think it hurts about as much as getting your blood drawn. Which for me isn't much. I don't have a problem with needles though. I can do my own finger pricks
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have not but I really should. The biggest reason I don't is because they call all the time here if you give once (I loved with my ILs for a bit and they got so many calls from the blood bank). I am going through this phase where I wish I could find out ways to give to any charity anonymously or opt out of solicitation because it is holding me back. I hate the wasted resources contacting me to do anything. When I want to, I will. I know that is horribly selfish of me.

Beth

I wish I could but I have a needle issue and the couple of times I have tried have led to me freaking out and/or practically passing out.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    I haven't done it in a while since I always seem to be pregnant or nursing, and it's just not convenient for me. But I used to all the time in college. And I think I did whenever the opportunity arose. Dh used to donate to the Red Cross regularly before we moved. He'd get a call every few months and off he'd go.

I think it hurts about as much as getting your blood drawn. Which for me isn't much. I don't have a problem with needles though. I can do my own finger pricks
    The donor center was close to work and I'd go every couple months. Now, if I can squeeze it in at a local drive, I will.

I've donated 35 pints so far.
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No, I have low blood pressure and almost pass out when they take my blood at the OB. Chicken.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have in the past but not since Ive had Jack.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Gena is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm a blood donor. I have several "gallon pins". I used to go every 8-10 weeks. But now I usually do a "double red" donation, which means that instead of whole blood I give 2 units of red blood cells (the other blood components are put back into me). It takes a bit longer, but I can go half as often and do just as much good.

My Dad was a frequent blood donor when I was a kid. He has a rare blood type (AB-) and before he had health problems he felt it was his duty to donate. When I was a little kid and I asked Dad why he donated blood, he told me that it was just something you do, like voting or giving to charity. So that's the attitude I grew up with.
    Gena

DS, age 11 and always amazing

“Autistics are the ultimate square pegs, and the problem with pounding a square peg into a round hole is not that the hammering is hard work. It's that you're destroying the peg." - Paul Collins, Not Even Wrong

I used to donate whole blood. I'd go with a few co-workers during our lunch break. There's always a need for blood and like others have said, I have plenty to give, so why not?

There's a bit of a sting when they first stick you, but it's really not that bad. Kind of a medium strength pinch. The pain goes away about as quickly.

Nowadays I donate platelets and plasma. That's another experience altogether.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast