Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

yep, though haven't done it since before my pregnancy (have had some healthy problems since DD was born). i hate needles too, i just can't watch them doing it. as for the pain, it's not like getting a backrub, but not too bad. agree with PPs that it's similar to getting blood drawn. it only hurts for a second. it feels good to know you're helping people in need... i'm kind of in the "civic duty" camp too.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had DD and was really anemic. I'll probably start again after DD2 is weaned. But I usually fail the anemia test.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

I did until I started taking so many meds. I wish I still could.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

I tried once but had a bad experience, complete with turning green, fainting, and extreme bruising. That didn't help my fear of needles at all. Now that I'm almost thru a pregnancy I've kinda gotten used to being a pincushion and will donate afterwards whenever I pass the test.
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I donated blood once and have no plans to do so again. The actual donation process went fine, but while I was sitting at the table having my juice and cookie I remember starting to feel funny and saying "nurse, I don't ..." and next thing I know I am on the floor with people standing over me asking "what's your name?" Not fun. I felt funky for a few days after that. Even now, when I have to get a few vials of blood drawn for lab work I feel goofy for a few hours. Apparently I'm rather attached to my blood.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by catroddick View Post
    Yep- every eight weeks since January 2003, with the exception of taking a year off to have DD.

My reason may seem silly. In December of 2002, my amazing dog Osa was diagnosed with liver cancer and had to get a couple transfusions while we determined what could be done. Having worked for years in a vet hospital, I knew how rare it was to have a donor dog on site, and was so thankful that option was available for us. It only bought us a few extra days, but it was enough time to know that we were making the best decisions for her.

After I lost my beautiful, special dog, it occurred to me that I could donate and make that kind of difference for people- to help someone’s child, parent, spouse.

So I do it for Osa. And to thank the universe for giving me such a wonderful companion that helped raise me and make me a better person.
    oh what a touching story, thank you for sharing. i dont' think that is a "silly" reason at all. i think of it too as helping someone else's loved one.

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I donate, although it's been a while (meds, pregnancy, laziness.) I used to do it all the time at work. I figured I have blood, people need blood, it doesn't cost me anything but time to share it.

I don't think it hurts much when they insert the needle. It really depends on the person taking the blood. Just try not to look and think about something else. Squeezing the squeezie ball tight in your other hand might help get you over the initial OW of it all. Once the blood is flowing into the bag, it doesn't take long and hurts even less than the insertion. Allow time to sit and have a cookie and drink afterwards to decrease your risk of feeling sick and fainting. Having a magazine or friend with you will make the time go faster and keep your mind off what is happening.

3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

They won't let me donate blood because I lived in the United Kingdom. Worried about Mad Cow Disease.

I would love to give blood if I could. A really good friend of mine daughter was diagnosed w/ Leukemia. People would give blood in her name and she would get credit for the donations. Platelets are what they really need.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't currently and likely won't again.
    I have fainted twice during/after donating.
    The last time I donated I had a terrible phlebotomist, blood squirted up to my shoulder, and I had a bruise for 2 weeks.
    I hate the constant phone calls I've gotten after I've gotten on the donater list.
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've tried to give blood 3 times. In college they said my blood wasn't good enough for some reason (not enough iron? I can't remember), and then I tried in France and at work I tried and nearly passed out both times. Before I had children the sight of blood or needles made me pass out. 3c/sections pretty much cured that.

I would say that it doesn't actually hurt that much at least not any more than having an IV. It was never the pain that made me queasy. It was the sight of my blood draining into a bag. But I think I should try it again because I don't think it would make me queasy anymore. Donating is a wonderful thing to do!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast