Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default s/o What, if anything, did your parents give you for a wedding gift

Did your parents give you a wedding gift/cash in addition to paying for the wedding? I can't really remember but I think my parents gave us a check to put towards the honeymoon but I can't really be sure. I will have to ask my mom. DH's daughter from his first marriage is getting married and we are paying for half of the wedding, which is about the total cost of my wedding 13 years ago and I'm just wondering what we should do about a gift. Is the wedding the gift or should we do something else? DH suggested we pay for them to take the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class which I think is a great idea, they need it but not sure how that would be received. Man, weddings are expensive.
    Stacey
    Mama to DS '03
    DD '06
    and DD '10

for Samuel

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My parents paid for our wedding and my dress. They did not give me anything else, nor did I expected them to. Honestly, I think paying for the wedding is enough!

lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Paid for nearly the entire wedding...way too much...and a 4-Runner. To this day, I don't know why but my dad decided we needed a new car.
    Susanna 6/29/04
    James 6/15/10

blisstwins is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The mostly paid for the wedding. My inlaws did give us a generous gift to use to pay for the honeymoon. We were extremely lucky.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Inlaws gave us $1000 cash, my parents paid for the wedding (including dress, 5 bridemaid dresses, and 1 flower girl dress), and then we also got a place setting or two of our casual china IIRC. A gift from them wasn't expected at all.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My parents did not pay for anything (they died when I was a young child), nor did anyone in my "family". DH and I paid for our wedding ourselves (we eloped, though it was known/announced that we were doing it, not a surprise). We got 1 gift, from our best friends. We didn't get even so much as a card from FIL/sMIL. AFAIK, my "family" d/n even know where we live, let alone that we are married.

If you are paying for the wedding, IMO you don't need to do a gift too.

JMHO.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My mom paid for our photographer and gave us our treadmill as a wedding gift! Works for me.

My parents paid for half the reception. They also paid for all the liquor, limos, flowers, my dress and veil, wedding favors, DJ. I think they gave us some cash, just can't remember how much. My in-laws paid for the pianist at the church, the rehearsal dinner and gave us a very generous cash gift.
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

My dad gave us $5,000 AFTER the wedding, as he knew I was thrifty and may spend more if I had more, KWIM? $5,000 was a lot for him. My IL's gave us jack sh!7. Not even a card. Still same issues with IL's and gift/cards/visiting DD.
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think paying for a wedding is more than enough! We paid for our wedding ourselves and am shocked that parents still pay for weddings.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast