Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I honestly don't remember.

ETA: My parents paid for the wedding (done quite inexpensively) because I was 22 & just graduated college. DH was 28 & had just finished grad school. My sister got married mid-30's after practicing as an MD for years & they paid for the wedding themselves.
    Last edited by mamicka; 04-08-2010 at 06:27 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They paid for the wedding and bought us something off our registry.

FWIW, our parents paid for our wedding likely because we were young. My parents I think also did b/c my 2 other siblings eloped and they were dying to plan and host a wedding.

Beth

My parents paid for all aspects of our wedding which we did not expect at all. They did give us a gift but it was not monetary....they cross-stitched the Irish blessing with our names and wedding date. My mom did the words and my dad did the decorations. It means a lot to both of us.
    My IL's gave us a car. We were very lucky.
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My parents did pay for our wedding but it was because we were entirely broke having just graduated from grad school with no jobs, and because we HAD to get married when we did so that DH could get his green card. We had to tie the knot within 90 days of coming into the U.S. so it's not like we could save up. That said, my entire wedding--including my dress-- cost about $5K. They also gave us a stereo system. I think it was DH's favorite gift. The stereo system is still working today (10 years later)!

DH's mother wasn't in a financial position to do much for the gift. She gave us a few small things off the registry, which was just fine by me. Randomly years later she bought us a TV and said it was a wedding gift. I think she felt badly that she wasn't able to contribute when we got married. Neither DH or I cared at all though.

We eloped so we paid for ours. My mom is the only one who gave us a gift. My sister, MIL, SFIL, and SIL didn't give us anything. MIL and SFIL have still not aknowledged we got married nor will they talk about it. They are mad becasue we chose to elope without anyone there.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

DH finished his degree 2 weeks before we wed and I had only been working for 1 year (and in a nonprofit), so we relied almost entirely on the cash my parents and ILs gave us to cover the wedding and honeymoon. My parents also bought me a new car shortly before we married (the car was sort of a combined law school graduation gift/early wedding gift). ILs gave a large amount of cash as a down payment for our first house and paid for our wedding photographers and part of the reception site fee.

They were all super generous and we didn't expect additional gifts.

JMS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We were given a "wedding budget" by my parents. What we didn't spend was given to us after our wedding as a cash gift. It made me really think hard about what qualified as worthy expenses.
    JMS
    Mommy to DD "HH" 2004
    and DS1 "MH" 2005
    & DS2 "JJH" - My very Irish baby!

I wanted a simple wedding with LOTS of friends which my parents accepted quite happily as I'm the oldest and only daughter. I think total cost was under $2500 for 575 people. I did try to sneakily pay for a few things but was asked let them do this once in their lives.

For the gift, they had someone Dad knew build us a custom beautiful dining room table that seats 16. The gift appeared about the time of our first anniversary which was perfect timing for us. We it!
    Last edited by c&j04; 04-08-2010 at 06:59 PM.
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

Quote Originally Posted by c&j04 View Post
    I think total cost was under $2500 for 575 people.
    Did you mean $25,000? Even if it is $25K, that's remarkably inexpensive for that many people. I had under 300 and we paid about $25,000 for a Chinese wedding banquet (which was much cheaper than the traditional sit-down dinner options we looked into).

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

my parents paid for my wedding dress and wedding reception Chinese banquet dinner. They also gave us a monetary gift. My in-laws paid for our private limo, along with the photographer & all the photographs and CDs (my father-in-law worked with the photographer in creating the album and he splurged on a new professional camera for our wedding), and they gave us a monetary gift. My MIL also gave us an elegant wedding frame and album that she found on one of her trips with my FIL. We didn't expect all this from our parents and we feel very blessed.
    Last edited by brgnmom; 04-08-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast