Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by arivecchi View Post
    I think paying for a wedding is more than enough! We paid for our wedding ourselves and am shocked that parents still pay for weddings.
    My mom is super traditional and my parents wanted to pay for our wedding, now it was a pretty simple wedding in our home town and it didn't cost an arm and leg. My parents told us what the budget was going to be and well we made it work. Had we really wanted anything more than what the budget said was going to work then we would've paid for it ourselves with no problems. We were easy though and had no problem staying within the budget.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Did you mean $25,000?
    Nope! $2500.00. That helped with any guilt I was feeling. Like I said, simple wedding but it was what I wanted...
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My parents paid for the whole wedding reception (my parents are very traditional), it was a big, fancy wedding and I certainly didn't expect anything else, but they decided to give us a generous cash gift to use toward the down payment for our house.

My inlaws paid for the church (including flowers and music), because that's the tradition around here, gave us some cash for the honeymoon, and after my parents gift, they decided to give us the same amount (we are super-lucky, I know - still they tend to be competitive and I find it "strange" that they would choose to give us the exact same amount).

But, to the OP, I think that if you're paying for half the wedding, no extra gift is expected. If you'd like you could give her a small, symbolic gift.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

we paid for our wedding ourselves, but my parents gave us $10k to use (that we could choose to either use for the wedding, or for savings,etc), and my in-laws gave us the equivalent of $5k (paid for rehearsal dinner, catering, cake and a few other wedding related expenses).

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My parents paid for our wedding ($15K budget - I spent 13,500 and gave them back the rest) and didn't give us a gift. I would not have expected them to.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

My parents paid for a good chunk of the wedding. DH's paid for the rehearsal dinner.

My parents got us a tent. ILs got us a dishwasher.
    Kris

We eloped, so my dad happily gave us cash. My mom did throw us a small party a few months later, but it wasn't to the scale of most weddings, and it was entirely for her satisfaction. We didn't request it or expect her to have to do it, but she really wanted to throw a party.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

They didn't buy me anything as a present. They payed for parts of the wedding but not all of it. DH's parents gave us a Toyota Camry. Awfully nice of them, huh?
    DD '06
    DD '14

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH & I paid for our wedding. My mom bought me a piece of jewelry. We didn't get any gifts from DH's family.
    Last edited by jgenie; 04-08-2010 at 10:46 PM.

lmh2402 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

my parents paid for all aspects of the wedding...everything except the band b/c we had our hearts set on a specific band that was pretty expensive and DH & i wanted to pay that ourselves (i don't regret it b/c the band ROCKED )

but...my dad also told me that he was debiting the cost of the wedding from my share of inheritance...

and plans the same for my sister's wedding. he will take the cost of the two, and split it between my brothers.

DH's parents were/are in a different situation than my parents. they paid for the rehearsal dinner and gave us a check for i think $1,000

it was extremely generous from both our families
    mama to my awesome sporty boy (4/09) , precocious little girl (7/12) , and loving doggies (10/05 & 1/14)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast