Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

My parents paid for the wedding, dress, limo, photographer etc. They didn't give an additional gift (nor was it expected). They bought all of our bedding ensemble for our shower and paid for that. My IL's gave a big amount towards our downpayment on our 1st house. Our shower gift from them was our bedroom furniture. We are very lucky to have parents who were able to help so generously!

My parents paid for the entire wedding for the most part and gave us a cash gift of about $7,000 which was the "rent" I was paying to them that they instead saved to give back to us.
    SAHM to:

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My parents, ils split the cost of the wedding. We did not expect gifts, but they did that as well.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We paid for our own wedding, but my parents gave us $500 and MIL offered to buy the cake. This was the largest gift I've/we've ever gotten from both of them. Since it was a very small/on a budget wedding (I was in grad school), the $500 actually covered the reception (nonprivate) at a nice restaurant. With the monetary gifts, we ended up breaking even on our $3k wedding. It would've been fun to do it up a little nicer, but it was also nice not to have 20k in debt from a wedding.

ETA: My parents don't believe in paying for either college or weddings, which made my 20's financially difficult, but everything turned out fine.
    Last edited by DrSally; 04-09-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Not sure what we will do but at least I won't feel like we did the wrong thing either way. I feel kind of bad that I don't really want to do anything extra but I'm trying not to let personal feelings get in the way and do the right thing. I guess it would be easier if she ever appreciated anything we do. Plus having two young DC and one more on the way sure doesn't make this easy on the budget. Oh well, that's life. Thanks again for all of your input.
    Stacey
    Mama to DS '03
    DD '06
    and DD '10

for Samuel

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My parents gave us a lump sum cash gift which we split between the wedding and closing costs on a house.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6