Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by g-mama View Post
    We belong to a swim club and have for the past four years. We go almost every weekday in the summer and meet up with friends there, so it's a win-win for both me and the kids. We love it. It was definitely a challenge when I was responsible for all 3 kids, none of whom could swim well at first, but well worth it to get out of the house and enjoy the sunshine and fun. They take swim lessons every year and it's much easier now.
    This will be our third year at our neighborhood swim club...we live in an older neighborhood (no HOA)...and the swim club is just an old fashioned private club. Basic pool (two diving boards), baby pool, grass area, BBQs, playground and two tennis courts. The swim lessons are great, swim team is nice, tennis lessons are cheap, but mostly it's great for the social aspect. We go most weekdays and some weekends. Our club allows you to wheel in coolers and the gas BBQs are always available for use by members -- most evenings there are several families grilling out, sharing wine, beer, etc.. There's also an old fashioned Crap (i mean Snack) Shack where you can get all the candy we remember from when we were kids along with such specialties as Cup O Noodles, Soft Pretzels, etc.

Our club costs around $500 a year (and the first year there's a $250 joining fee). The waitlist is a mile long and they only let in a few new families each year. For us, it's totally worth it...These types of clubs seem to be common in our metro area (although we also have country clubs, big rec centers, etc. too) and ours is a great deal (several others have more expensive annual fees along with much bigger initiation fees).
    Last edited by jenmcadams; 04-08-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our country club has a pool that is great never crowded 2 diving boards play area kiddy pool. We joined mainly for the golf but the pool is a plus
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Carrots is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We belong to a YMCA and they have the most amazing indoor and outdoor pools. (the facility is brand new)
    Kristen
    Mom to:
    DD, A 5 years
    DD, K 3 years

and my three born sleeping

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

A country club membership isn't in our budget and I'm sot sure I would join one if it was. We get a family membership at the pool in the community I work..I get a sweet discount and the pool is almost brand new.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes, this will be our 3rd summer. We joined when ds1 was starting school in the area (vs private school). It has been great socially. The pool is on the $ side so it is our main summer activity. When we decided to join it was btw the pool and summer camp for ds. We figured for the same cost we should choose the pool b/c it lasted all summer and the whole family could go.

Check guest rates and rules. Our pool bites with this one. $9/ guest. There are officially rules about how often guests can come but they really don't enforce it, ime.

It's nothing fancy, just a main pool and a kiddie pool. Concession stand and chairs too. But, it's a good size, simple, and easy. I can see ds1 when he is in the big pool and I am with ds2 in the little pool (some pool areas have bad layouts).

Beth

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Our gym has a big outdoor swimming park that is an extra membership, and we'll definitely join when our kids older. This year with a barely-2-year-old and newborn it wouldn't be worth it. But for 3-6 year olds it would be awesome.

Locally there is a beach club that is $800/summer, about 10 minutes away from the free beach at a the local pond - has sandy beach, is clean, has concessions and changing stations and a big playground. The $800/summer one has the exact same things. I just don't get people sometimes.
    For me if $800 gets me easy, guaranteed, close parking and a good spot on the beach where I don't have to camp out early or something like that then I see the appeal. Not sure if I would choose it but I can see potential value.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Carrots View Post
    We belong to a YMCA and they have the most amazing indoor and outdoor pools. (the facility is brand new)
    I saw you are located in MA and was wondering which Y?
    Mama to 5 wild ones

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our neighborhood has three pools, including one indoor one, that we use regularly. It is covered in our $420/month HOA fee. Also, we belong to 24Hr Fitness that has a pool. I mostly just exercise swim at the gym, not in our neighborhood pool, because of the lane lines, ect. DC can't go to the gym pool, but do spend quite a bit of time in our neighborhood pool.

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We live close enough to Lake Tahoe that we just hang out at the lake, but I'd be into a nice club if there's one around once the baby is old enough to enjoy it.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jjjo1112 View Post
    I saw you are located in MA and was wondering which Y?
    me too as I'm "y" shopping. its annoying they're not all on the same 'network'.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast