Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Gifts for caregivers at daycare?

DS has been going to the daycare for last 2 months, and this month he started full-time. Wondering if there is some etiquette/tradition where caregivers at the daycare are given gifts. Anyone?

Thanks,
    SunshineAndMe

Quote Originally Posted by sunshineandme View Post
    DS has been going to the daycare for last 2 months, and this month he started full-time. Wondering if there is some etiquette/tradition where caregivers at the daycare are given gifts. Anyone?

Thanks,
    SunshineAndMe
    I asked the director of our daycare last fall. She said nothing is expected at ours. I did write a nice thank you card and included a recent picture when one of the teachers left a few weeks ago, who had been the main teacher in the babyroom the entire time we've been there. The teacher was very touched by it.

Personally I favor inexpensive small items or gift cards. It's challenging. You don't necessarily know their personal tastes, if they have dietary restrictions, allergies to lotions/candles, etc. For Valentine's Day, I did send a multipack of conversation hearts as a little something.

mskitty

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I usually give a gift card around Teacher Appreciation Day & Chirstmas. Usually to Target or Walmart, because I know they'll be used that way.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Cash at Christmas, otherwise no.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Cash at Christmas, otherwise no.
    I also do something for Teacher Appreciation Week which will be May 2-8th.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I give a gift at Xmas. I also might give a going-away present, if a teacher I REALLY REALLY like ends up leaving the school.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I give a gift card at christmas and then a gift card and a thank you note when the girls move out of that teachers room.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

swrc00 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I ususally give a gift for the holidays and something small for Valentine's day. I have realized though that because of the way the rooms are developmentally grouped and how DS's birthday falls some of DS's teachers would never get a gift. I have started giving a gift when DS moves to a new room to his old teachers to compensate for this.