Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Big Hypothetical - Breaking Bad

We've had a continuing discussion in my house over the last few weeks based on the series Breaking Bad. Hopefully some of you know what I'm talking about, but even if you don't watch the show, I'd like your opinion.

So, the main character, Walter, is diagnosed with lung cancer. He's a high school chemistry teacher, his wife stays at home and is pregnant, and they have a teenage son with medical problems. He freaks out about the cost of his treatment, leaving his family with no money, etc, etc, and decides to start cooking meth. All sorts of drama ensues, but the basic gist is that he's doing illegal/very dangerous things to ensure his family will not be in huge amounts of debt once he dies (and his chances of surviving are very, very slim). His wife finds out in the end. She freaks out, won't listen to his reasons, files for divorce, won't let him see his kids, etc.

Obviously, you can't *really* know how you'd react without actually being in that situation, but.. do you think that you would be more understanding, or do you think you'd come down hard like she does?

I don't watch the show but...
    I would totally freak out about cooking meth, it's extremely dangerous and can blow up the entire house with a small mistake, every "batch" is basically russian roulette. I watch Weeds and I think that's a good example of how something seemingly innocent and to help your family survive in the beginning snowballs into something crazy and out of control. Obviously Weeds isn't real but in the real world you wouldn't get 9 lives like Nancy. I think anything that is illegal and harmful to others is a line to not even be crossed, so I would definitely come down hard.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Well, if I were the wife, I'd handle this very differently because I'm a Christian and try to live a Christian life. My first thought would be that doing anything illegal has to stop because not only is it hurting other people in the world but it is a terrible example for my son. My belief is that if you want God to help you you have to trust him implicitly and follow his rules completely. So, as soon as my husband was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer AND there was chance we would have serious financial problems as a result, I'd find whatever ways we needed to spruce up our spiritual life, increase our tithing, and focus on our family's spiritual, mental and emotional health. I'd also talk to a financial counselor. But the meth equipment would be the first to go. And I wouldn't leave my DH during a time when he needed the support and love of his family.

But of course, who really knows how they would handle such a situation until they are IN that situation?

ETA: I have never seen the show.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just want to say that my DH is totally convinced that what Walt did was for the best, we actually had a heated little argument over this!

Quote Originally Posted by maybeebaby08 View Post
    I don't watch the show but...
    I would totally freak out about cooking meth, it's extremely dangerous and can blow up the entire house with a small mistake, every "batch" is basically russian roulette. I watch Weeds and I think that's a good example of how something seemingly innocent and to help your family survive in the beginning snowballs into something crazy and out of control. Obviously Weeds isn't real but in the real world you wouldn't get 9 lives like Nancy. I think anything that is illegal and harmful to others is a line to not even be crossed, so I would definitely come down hard.
    He cooks it in the New Mexico desert, not home. If you like Weeds, try Breaking Bad, it's good!
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyNicksChunkyMom View Post
    Just want to say that my DH is totally convinced that what Walt did was for the best, we actually had a heated little argument over this!
    I don't know if what he did was for the best, but I hope I would be way more understanding than his wife. In his situation, I think a little panic and poor judgement is understandable, and he was just trying to help his family. Sort of a "Gee, honey, I really appreciate what you're trying to do, but..." reaction. Everyone I've talked to IRL has such varied responses, it's interesting.

FWIW, he stopped cooking before the baby was born and hasn't started back up.. so it's not like it's a continuing thing and he won't stop even though his wife is angry.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Well you can't really know what you'd do in a bad situation until you're in it.

Having said that, producing a product that you know destroys lives is a form of assault IMO. I think my emotional process for learning my husband cooks meth would be similar to my emotional process for learning he's been beating people up to the point of brain damage, organ failure and permanent neurological problems. No amount of needing money makes that remotely OK. And having a terrible disease (one that does not affect mental ability / judgment) doesn't make it more forgivable.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Well you can't really know what you'd do in a bad situation until you're in it.

Having said that, producing a product that you know destroys lives is a form of assault IMO. I think my emotional process for learning my husband cooks meth would be similar to my emotional process for learning he's been beating people up to the point of brain damage, organ failure and permanent neurological problems. No amount of needing money makes that remotely OK. And having a terrible disease (one that does not affect mental ability / judgment) doesn't make it more forgivable.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think the trouble with a situation like this is because it's TV, they have to use such an extreme example. I really have a hard time believing that a normally sane, law abiding person would suddenly go to such bizarre lengths to insure his family were cared for. I can't even imagine my Dh doing such a thing. If we were in this situation, probably we'd do what gatorsmom described.

I haven't seen the show either.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/