wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Pumping and the return of AF

I think AF may be returning. I had heavy spotting yesterday morning, but then it went away a few hours later and hasn't come back. But today I feel as though I have AF...achy back, a bit crampy. DD2 is 16wks, has been STTN (for 9-11hrs) since 8wks and I've been pumping 3x's a day for a week now since returning to work. Did any of you WOHM have AF return when you started pumping at work? I'm assuming that DD2 isn't at the breast enough to keep AF away.

I honestly can't recall when AF returned with DD1. I *think* it was when I went on the mini pill at 8wks (I'm pretty sure I had AF every month during the placebo week). I'm not currently using hormonal BC.

What I wouldn't give to be one of those women who doesn't have AF return until they wean!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

♥ms.pacman♥ is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

hmm, i didn't know getting AF postpartum had anything to do with pumping or babies STTN. My DS is only 3 months old and i've already had 2 periods (first one at 6 weeks postpartum, the next at 11 weeks). I am a SAHM and rarely pump (maybe 2-3x a week?). And my DS has just started STTN (10 hrs). When i got my first period @ 6wks, he was only sleeping 4-5 hrs at a stretch at night.

i've read that BF'ing usually prolongs getting your AF back, but it wasn't the case for me at all. and i EBF and pretty much nurse round the clock during the day to a VERY hungry baby! so sometimes there isn't anything you can do. . my grandma says getting your period again is a sign your body is ready to have another baby (she had 2 kids 9 months apart!) hehe
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-09-2010 at 09:49 AM.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

When AF came back for me there were a few months of "I think it might be back....." -- funny spotting, feeling period-y, but not really having one.

So yeah, I think it's likely you're ovulating so backup protection would be a good idea.

Sorry!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    When AF came back for me there were a few months of "I think it might be back....." -- funny spotting, feeling period-y, but not really having one.

So yeah, I think it's likely you're ovulating so backup protection would be a good idea.

Sorry!
    Good to know someone else had a few months of maybe AF is here/maybe not. I'm one of those who feels strong ovulation pain so I know I haven't ovulated yet, but I'll be on the look out. No baby #3 for me. We are 2 and thru!!!!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I didn't get AF back until 10 months or so with DD1 and I WOH full-time, so I was pumping 3 times/day and nursing every 2-3 hours at night. I didn't use the pill so pumping/nursing at night was enough to keep AF away.

This time around, I'm still WOH and pumping 3 times/day, but DD2 only nurses 1-2 times a night since she was 6 months old. Thus, I'm surprised AF isn't back yet. She's now 10 months old. Fingers crossed AF stays away until I wean! I have an IUD in now, but it's Paraguard so no hormones.

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm one of those who isn't getting AF.. I have been on the mini-pill. DS is over 10 months, and I have been working and pumping since he was three months.. I only pump once/day and he has maybe three nursing sessions a day nowadays..