JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Here's what I have- what else should I get?

Yesterday, my trial program stuff from Jillian's Drawers arrived, along with a few things I purchased.
    I bought:
    -A 6 pack of Thirsties wipes- they are insanely soft!
    -A bumGenius sprayer (which I'm wondering if I should have held off on until I know for sure we'll stick with it)
    -a 40 pack of size 1 disposables (b/c I'm guessing the trial cloth stuff won't be enough to use full time)

and the trial pack had (all newborn sizes):
    -3 unbleached Indian prefolds
    -3 bleached CPF
    -2 Kssaluvs fitteds
    -2 Fab Fitteds
    -3 bumGenius AIOs
    -1 Prorap cover
    -2 Thirsties covers
    -1 Snappi

So I got NO pockets, which is what I'm betting I'll end up liking. Should I buy 1 to experiment with, or wait until the trial is over, and can hopefully buy a one-size-fits-all?

Should I go ahead and buy some type of pail? More wipes? What else? I hate to buy too much not knowing what will work for us, but I also want to have enough to really know what I want.

Also, do I really have enough covers for all of the PF's and fitteds? I know you can re-use them, but is it realistic to re-use them that many times? I just have a hard time understanding why they don't get icky.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    Yesterday, my trial program stuff from Jillian's Drawers arrived, along with a few things I purchased.
    I bought:
    -A 6 pack of Thirsties wipes- they are insanely soft!
    -A bumGenius sprayer (which I'm wondering if I should have held off on until I know for sure we'll stick with it)
    -a 40 pack of size 1 disposables (b/c I'm guessing the trial cloth stuff won't be enough to use full time)

and the trial pack had (all newborn sizes):
    -3 unbleached Indian prefolds
    -3 bleached CPF
    -2 Kssaluvs fitteds
    -2 Fab Fitteds
    -3 bumGenius AIOs
    -1 Prorap cover
    -2 Thirsties covers
    -1 Snappi

So I got NO pockets, which is what I'm betting I'll end up liking. Should I buy 1 to experiment with, or wait until the trial is over, and can hopefully buy a one-size-fits-all?

Should I go ahead and buy some type of pail? More wipes? What else? I hate to buy too much not knowing what will work for us, but I also want to have enough to really know what I want.

Also, do I really have enough covers for all of the PF's and fitteds? I know you can re-use them, but is it realistic to re-use them that many times? I just have a hard time understanding why they don't get icky.
    i'm by no means a CD expert, but i can speak to some of this. my understanding is that the diaper sprayers are much more helpful once DC starts eating solids. we have been using CDs since DD was about 6 weeks and i don't have a diaper sprayer yet; all BM/formula poop can go straight into the washer (yuck, i know). you do a cold rinse first to wash off all solid matter and to eliminate odors, then a hot wash/cold rinse. so even if you do stick with CDs you won't need the sprayer for a while.

i LOVE the pocket diapers. i like that they wick moisture away and hold it inside--and it really works! when i change her, the fleece lining hardly feels wet at all but when i pull out the insert it is holding a LOT of pee!! also the cleaning is really easy. so i would definitely buy a pocket diaper to try out along with everything else, and then if you love it, you can return everything. strange that they don't include a pocket dipe in the trial samples. we use fuzzi bunz and them!

we started out in pre-folds/covers/snappis when she was first born but i seriously hated them, and i think she did too. they're SO bulky and i think she was uncomfortable, it seemed to really limit her mobility. also i didn't like having to fold them to fit her, it felt really awkward to me. i really tried to give us a chance to get used to it, but one day i just said "enough" and we switched to sposies until she was a little bit bigger to fill up her fuzzi bunz (even the small size).

ETA: w/ prefolds, i was never able to re-use a cover more than twice, or 3 times max. b/c newborns are pooping so often, the poop inevitably gets on the cover. it DOES get icky, at least in my experience. if you want to give the pre-folds a round-the-clock try, i would get more covers.

also, we don't have a pail, we just have a regular flip top trash can and it works fine, we don't have a problem with odors (sposies actually smell up the place worse!!). you WILL need a waterproof pail liner to go in whatever receptacle you choose for your dirty dipes. then you can just pull out the liner when you're ready to wash, dump the dipes in the machine and throw the liner in with it. very easy.

good luck! hope you find something that you totally love! and congrats on your sweet little one!!
    Last edited by boogiemomz; 04-09-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So you'll be cloth diapering the new one? Yay!

For newborns, I think nothing in the world is better than prefolds and covers. AIOs, fitteds, pockets are great for mobile babies but when the kid is just a lump there is nothing more simple, cheap and easy than a prefold / cover.

Regarding your covers....yes, if you do end up going with PFs or fitteds you'll want more covers. 3 will get you through a day, you'll be OK, especially if you're mixing with disposables. And you can also just use the snappi and go coverless when you're home, so long as can change him as soon as he's wet. You can get by using the same snappi over and over and over til the teeth wear out (takes a long time).

If you end up using PFs exclusively for the first few months you'll probably want 2-3 dozen PFs and 8-12 covers.

For older babies, my personal favorite is AIOs followed by fitteds with covers (an AIO is basically a fitted with an attached cover). I think pockets are pain, personally. I think people love them mostly because BumGenius makes a good one-sized pocket whereas you generally have to buy sized AIOS and fitteds -- meaning you have to buy a new set when the kid outgrows the older set - which ends up costing a lot more. But my BumGenius AIOs works the exact same way as the BumGenius pocket except I don't have to pull out any soiled insert or re-stuff it after washing, and the fit is SUPER trim.

Oh and I agree with PP, you won't need the sprayer til solids and a pail liner is a great idea.

Good luck!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5