Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do I really need a recliner/glider?

I do like the sound of having a recliner/glider in the baby's room because I plan on breastfeeding. Our first is due in July and I'm running out of time if I need to order one.

I have done some research and decided on Little Castle, Inc. because they rock and recline, and are fully upholstered. They are pretty expensive, but might be willing to splurge on it.

Anyone have one? I would either get the cottage or buckingham. The buckingham has a reversible seat back and 23" wide seat (the cottage seat back is fixed and 22" wide). I'm sure the extra inch wouldn't make a difference, but I've heard any extra room helps when using a breastfeeding pillow.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Definitely get one--splurge on this! We listened to friends who told us that they get puked all over, etc, so don't waste your $$ on it and just get a cheap one. Well, we did and hate it! It's a rocker---the ottoman is uncomfortable, so is the chair, and really can't be used together. For DS1 the ottoman became a book rest, held Twilight Turtle, etc. I nursed in it but even once that is over you'll need that chair to feed bedtime bottles and read bedtime stories in every night. If you have a kid w/ awful reflux (both of mine have/had it) then you may want to be able to recline in the chair so you can rest before putting baby back in crib as they have to stay upright for a while after eating.
    Now DS1 is 2 1/2 yrs old and in big boy bed but won't stay in it so we spend a lot of time in that cheap chair. DH often falls asleep in it while waiting for DS1 to fall asleep. It would be so nice if it reclined.
    If you plan on having more kids you will definitely get your money's worth on this purchase---you spend so much time in that chair! I regret cheaping out on ours everyday. I don't have any experience with Little Castle but it sounds great. As for the nursing pillow (I preferred My Breastfriend over the Boppy) you can squish them into even the cheap chair.
    DS#1: 11.06.07
    DS#2: 09.04.09

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i don't have a Little Castle chair (i have a Dutalier reclining rocker + ottoman, not fully upholstered) but i definitely agree with previous poster, if you splurge on anything, i would definitely splurge on a rocker/glider that's comfortable. i BF and i use mine several times a day. i can't imagine not having one, to be honest. sure i could just use a couch or whatever but i'd rather pay $$ to be comfortable than have to shell out $$ to a chiropractor to fix my aching back. lol. for me having a nice comfortable rocker was definitely worth the $$. was most helpful for the first month or so when DS needed to be rocked to sleep. life with a newborn is soo much easier imo if u have a comfortable rocker than u can rest or sleep in (this where the reclining feature comes in handy!).

and yes, extra room helps with a breastfeeding pillow, definitely. not sure of the dimensions, but i chose a more expensive dutalier chair over the shermag ones (also good, but not as wide), for this reason. i went to BRU and tried all the various chairs out, and chose the one that was the most comfortable and could also easily accomodate the My BrestFriend pillow. i'm so glad i did. using a nursing pillow was a lifesaver for me.

and i agree with PP, you will likely spend a lot of time in that chair!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-10-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Yes, you need one. Our Dutailer doesn't recline, but I wish it did. Make sure it is comfortable for you & DH--you will spend a lot of time in it. I still BF DS (11 mos) in the glider a lot. And bedtime stories. And just general holding/cuddling, etc. You might try CL, that's where be got ours. Our glider is in his room. Nice too, when he is sick, to hold him upright after feeding. Comfortable padded armrests are vital. We didn't get an ottoman, but I wish we had. But our nursing stool works okay.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We used a plain rocking chair and it was okay for us. I ended up doing most of my breast feeding on the couch and was fine with that. I think it's all about personal preference.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our rocker/recliner was the single best purchase we made prior to DD. We got a regular Lay-z-boy rather than one from a baby store because it seemed a lot more sturdy. When DD was first born I nursed her in it and rocked her to sleep. Now we sit in it to read books at bedtime and sometimes we just sit in it and cuddle.

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

you do not need one. you just need a comfy place to sit. any type of seat will work, even a couch or cushions on the floor -- what ever works for you.

You don't need one. We own one. I have 4 kids & I think I sat in it once. I can see where some people may use one but it's definately not a necessity.
    mom to 3 big kids and 1 toddler!

Yes yes yes! I thought they were ugly and bulky and too much money, so I didn't get one before our baby was born. I thought we could just sit on the edge of the bed or the couch to feed the baby. Big mistake! After two months of feeding every two hours, both of our backs were shot. We ended up getting a Shermag from BRU (normally $300...we got a 1/2 price black friday deal, though). If I had it to do again, I would gladly pay full price. It has made such a difference, I just wish I had it from the beginning. It sounds ridiculous, but it made a huge difference in our quality of life.

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

A rocker/glider/recliner of some sort is great to have in the nursery if you have room and money for it, but otherwise you'll make do. We use ours every night for DS's last bottle, books, etc.. as part of our bedtime routine. He gets his nighttime bottles there, too. Our other feedings are all done in the living room.

There have been days when he gets overtired and it's great to be able to take him into his dark bedroom and just rock with him to get him settled down.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast