Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What is a good color for a boys bedroom?

I need some ideas on what colors to paint my 6 yr old sons room.
    I will let him have the final say, but want some ideas before I show
    him some colors. Also I want to know if a darker or lighter color is best
    for a small size room? I think I have heard that painting it one way or
    the other will make it look bigger.

Thanks,

Jessica

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If the room is smaller then lighter colors will open it up. Our boys have a khaki/tan color on their walls with white trim. It is nice and light/neutral ... works with any color of bedding/window curtains. The color is Gobi Desert from Behr at Home Depot.

I would go with a Khaki, soft blue or sage/spring green for a boys room personally.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS1 has bright yellow with Ikea blue dresser and wardrobe.
    DS2 has light bright blue

/hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Ours is Percy Green (Percy from Thomas), as that is what he picked 4 years ago and it's reasonable.
    Kris

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My son's is painted a sort of chambray blue color. It's nice and goes with a lot of different decor. He is still in preschool, so I wanted to keep it a bit brighter. When he is older I'm sure I'll paint it khaki.

We painted DS's room a spring green color when he was a baby. It's a great color, but when I tried to find bedding for him last month (for his big boy bed) I had an AWFUL time finding boyish bedding with green in it. Baby bedding with green abounds, but more mature bedding was really hard to locate. I wanted to find something with a plaid or stripes (I was avoiding things like trucks, dinos and sports themes because I was hoping for something that would last him a while and not look babyish for a 6 or 7 year old) and everything I liked was either blue or brown based. Most stuff with green also had pink in it. Throughout the process of shopping I kept wishing that his room was blue or beige! So my vote is to 1st locate some bedding options that you love and THEN choose a paint color to coordinate.

I ended up with a $15 duvet cover from Ikea with cars on it. Not exactly what I had in mind, but at least I can replace it in a year - after we paint his room!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS' room is painted a wedgewood blue with white trim.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS1 and DS2's room is painted a darker khaki with one green wall - not a bright green, but more of a sagey green.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Don't have a boy here, but my godson's room (last I saw it) was painted khaki with either oak or white wood trim, and navy blue and red accents. Really cute and classy- you could do a nautical theme, teddy bear theme, or sports theme, etc. I think my cousin used quilts in red, navy, white, and khaki colors on the fabric.

Yellow green blue red neutral. Anything except for pink or lilac. Steer away from pastels and toward brights or neutrals and you should be good. Lighter colors make rooms look bigger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast