Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Formerly surly toddler suddenly happy and affectionate?

My 14 month old used to be a very serious baby. He was a quite demanding/tantrum prone child. Hence the dictator nickname.

About 2 weeks ago, he changed and he is now very cuddly/affectionate and seems so much happier and smiley. What is going on? DH and I were discussing this yesterday and the only possible explanation we could come up with was that he recently mastered crawling with EI therapy and perhaps that affected his social development. Thoughts?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

jjordan is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not exactly the same, but my ds was a very high needs baby and HATED to be with anyone other than dh and me. Then just at about 14 months old (in September) he turned a corner and is absolutely delightful most of the time, and far less apprehensive about strangers.

I think you're right. DD was an OK baby, but once she learned to crawl, she was obviously a much happier little girl. Her EI therapists and all my friends agree. I think they can just develop a little more, be more social and can do what they want without always having to ask for it. It would make me happier too! Congrats & enjoy...I know I have!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Laurel was a very fussy baby, feeding endlessly, and always wanted to be held. Terrible sleeper too. But I noticed every time she hit a gross motor milestone (starting with sitting up alone) she was much happier. Until she started working on the next milestone. Then it'd be grump city all over again. You should've seen her the weekend she was trying oh so hard to crawl. Screeching, crying, whining. She was probably popping teeth at the same time, but she's always teething Now that she's crawling well, she's able to play by herself for certain periods again. We'll probably go through this again when she starts pulling up or walking.

She's still very demanding though. Happiest when someone is playing with her. Always squawks the second she realizes she's alone.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No experience, but so happy for you and the former? dictator!
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yay! Sounds like he's just independent and was getting frustrated because things weren't on his terms.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Let's not question it , just enjoy it!! 14-18 months is such an awesome age.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Let's not question it , just enjoy it!! 14-18 months is such an awesome age.
    DD is 16 months and we have been having so much fun with her lately...so happy for you!
    DD 12/08
    DS 1/14

Enjoy every bit of it that you can! Happy baby!
    Becca- 02/2009

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thanks for all the feedback. I think it must be that he finally mastered that milestone and is now happy about being able to move around. Poor guy - seems he must have been immensely frustrated before.

I just may have to retire the dictator moniker.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast