Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Childrens bedrooms

DO each of your children have their own bedroom?

We finished off our basement and put a 5th bedroom w/ 3/4 bath for my oldest ( who was a teen at the time. I was wondering if you have enough bedrooms for each of your children or if you were planning on them sharing.

My oldest 2 shared when they were really little but it was like putting 2 cans in a pillow case.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My girls share a bedroom.

I grew up with my own room and never really envisioned my kids sharing a room, but when we were house hunting 3.5 years ago, we stumbled on this house and decided we could make it work. It's 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths - the "master" (small bedroom) is downstairs, as well as the full bath. The entire upstairs is the girls' room, which is quite big, plus a half bath. There are times I love it and times I don't and I think they'd say the same thing (they are 7.5 and 5 now). The only drawback is lack of a dedicated guest room or even another room that could be used for guests. The previous owners had plans drawn up for an addition that would enlarge the upstairs but it's not likely that we'll do that any time soon, if ever. They gave us the plans when we bought the house, but the addition is not in the cards financially for us.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Right now the older two share, baby has his own and we have a guest room. I'm planning on two of them sharing until they are old enough that they can handle sleeping elsewhere when we have guests. I'm not opposed to giving each their own room eventually, but I don't think they need one at this point.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have enough rooms, but I plan on our DDs sharing a room.

I shared a room with my sibs most of the time growing up. My friends with older daughters say they frequently ASK to share a room, even though their home has enough rooms for them to have their own.

When they are teens, I expect they will want & get their own.

But FYI, I think in my area it's actually illegal to have a bedroom in a basement unless the windows are big enough and accessible enough to escape in case of fire.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post

But FYI, I think in my area it's actually illegal to have a bedroom in a basement unless the windows are big enough and accessible enough to escape in case of fire.
    Its not illegal you just cant call it a bedroom. There are 2 windows in his bedroom and a walk out in the other part of the basement.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

My DDs have their own rooms and DD#1 has made it clear she does not want to share a room (she's 7 and DD2 is almost 5).

I chose to share a room with my sister until I was about 8 when I chose to move to the spare room. We had lots of fun sharing a room but I eventually felt the need for my own space.
    SAHM to:

Our boys (almost 7 and 4) share a bedroom.
    Our house has 2 huge bedrooms on the 2nd floor. They each have a queen size bed with a nightstand and that doesn't even take up half the room. The other half of the room has an 8x10 rug, a kids table and chair set, a 12 foot long bookshelf running under the windows with a tall bookshelf on each side and Ds1's desk.

There was a small unfinished attic off their room which DH and I finished just after Christmas and that's where their Legos, Duplos, Plan city and train tracks are.

In a few years we will be re-doing the upstairs and they will each have their own room but for now it works and they love it.
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Right now the whole family shares a bedroom, and usually a bed.

We live in a modest 3 BR house, so both kids will eventually have their own bedroom, but I'm planning on having them share for several years when they finally leave our room. I think they will get their own bedrooms at around ages 5 and 7. So I have several years before I have to worry about giving up and redecorating my office.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Each kid has their own room, but I have considered putting them together because I think they would enjoy it.

I was hesitant to do it before because younger DD was such an awful, awful sleeper. But, miracle of miracles, she has transformed into an excellent sleeper in the last few months.

ETA: I grew up in a 3 bedroom house with one brother and 2 sisters. I always shared with my sisters, because there was no option. I really never thought about it.
    Last edited by egoldber; 04-13-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

We have a 4 bedrooms, but with use one as an office. It would be a real pain to give up the office at this point in time. There isn't a good place to move it to in this house. We ever so rarely have guests, so that's not a real issue.

The two boys have been sharing for about 6 months. Baby is in own room. Boys were 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 when they moved in together. They were excited about it and still love it. My plan is to move in 5 to 8 years. I'll give them the choice then to continue sharing or get their own rooms. One of the things I want in our next house is an office area in the main living area or close to get the computer out of a bedroom.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast