Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Princess obsession and other issues that started recently

A little background first - DD will turn 4 in May. She is an only child. She goes to preschool and has other friends too. A mix of boys and girls -older and younger than her. We are a multilingual family and DD is fluent in two other languages (Dh's and mine) and English. At home she has a good mix of toys - but no dolls as such (she has never shown much interest in the one doll she has). Lots of books which she loves. She doesn't watch TV but has watched a few movies on DVD chosen by the both of us - Up, Lion King, Jungle Book, Aliens Vs Monsters and maybe a couple here and there. In short, she has no strong influences of the "princess" kind. We haven't read any princess stories at home either as far as I can remember.

Starting a week ago she has gotten obsessed with being a princess, liking only princess colors, wanting to wear only dresses, skirts and strappy sleeves. A couple of weeks ago her favorite shirt was one that had a gecko on it and now she asks me if it is a boys shirt. She has started to speak to me only in English because it is the princess language, refuses to sing any non-English songs and acts like she can't say the words if I insist. She has conversations about fashion and clothes with adults when I am not around (this is my fault - I buy lot of clothes for her). It is giving me sleepless nights because we strive hard to give DD a well rounded experience (which I don't think has to include princesses).

I don't know what to do. I have spoken to director of her preschool asking if they can lessen the amount of princess dress-up (seems like that is the only dress-up stuff they have in her class) but she insisted that it is good for the girls to dress up and bond over princessy stuff (why can't they bond over other stuff??). She thinks she is white (she is fair skinned) and this by far is the most shocking thing to me. I have a dark complexion and as an ethnic group Asian Indians come in all hues and colors. I don't know where she got this idea from.

I recognise that I am negatively biased with regards to the whole "princess" issue but this is the way we want her to grow up. What should I do?? Indulge in it a little or be strict about it. How do I distract her from this obsession. What can I do to make sure that the influence is minimized?? Any suggestions - I am very very concerned.

TIA

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I can't give you any advice but I can tell you that DD's princess obsession began about a week into preschool too, so there must be something about girls getting together and princess topics taking over. Her only princess knowledge before that was Fiona from Shrek and she didn't prefer that movie over Jungle Book, Charlotte's Web, or any other of the few we have that don't include princesses. Since she began preschool, she LOOOVES pink and wants to watch Sleeping Beauty all.the.time.

So, no help here, but wanted to tell you it must be common. I don't like it, but I also know that the more I put her in situations that aren't in my control (like 4 hours of preschool twice a week where I'm not there), the more I'm going to have to let those things go, to the degree that they aren't harming our basic morals and values. I guess I've chosen to pick my battles and that isn't one of them, mainly because she is still a great kid and, outside of that, I don't see a huge detrimental change in her.
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well, I'm about as "non-princessy" as one can get, and my DD still loves them. She also loves all things pink, which I DO NOT. I think part of it is a phase, and part of it is her personality. We continue to expose her to everything her brother does and many gender-neutral activities--fishing, hiking, exploring local farms, bikeriding, gardening, etc.

I wouldn't ban princess stuff, but I would be sure to continue to give her other options.

I'd be more concerned about her developing a positive cultural identity. Are there "princesses" in her/your cultural background that she could emulate/explore? Perhaps that can be folded into the mix at preschool. Perhaps emphasize the qualities that would make a princess a good leader--not just the superficial things?

"...she insisted that it is good for the girls to dress up and bond over princessy stuff (why can't they bond over other stuff??). " I would have had a fit over this. Is there a PTO that can get some other dress-up clothes? Could you get the parents together to donate/buy other dress-up items?

Kids go through all different phases. It's only been a week, so here's to hoping it's a short phase!
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

luza is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

For what it is worth, my 5 1/2-year-old DD went through a similar phase around that time (both with being princess-y and issues with not wanting to speak her second language with me). I think a lot of it is just that they are starting to really focus at that age on similarities and differences between girls and boys and themselves from other children.
    The language issues have been better since she started taking the non-English language as a second language when she started kindergarten, making me think that some of that part of the problem may have been simply that her English language vocabulary was much bigger and so it was easier to express herself in English when talking about abstract issues or unusual animals and plants. The princess-y thing got better after we introduced her to fairies (the rainbow fairies books) and to Harry Potter. She now wants to be either a fairy like the rainbow fairies or a witch like Hermione Granger. I'm not sure if you would see those options as an improvement, but for me it was.

[QUOTE=jse107;2693074]

I'd be more concerned about her developing a positive cultural identity. Are there "princesses" in her/your cultural background that she could emulate/explore? Perhaps that can be folded into the mix at preschool. Perhaps emphasize the qualities that would make a princess a good leader--not just the superficial things?

QUOTE]

Good advice!! I will pull out all the Indian warrior princess books! Hopefully I won't start a new obsession with bindis, bangles, anklets, sarees, long skirts, jewellery................ LOL

Quote Originally Posted by luza View Post
    She now wants to be either a fairy like the rainbow fairies or a witch like Hermione Granger. I'm not sure if you would see those options as an improvement, but for me it was.
    DD used to be that way! When she played princess games with the other girls she always wanted to play the witch. When her friend suggested that they pretend to be princess, her suggestion was that they be witches instead. Apparently I had/have no problem with witch-play.

My dd is 4 and also really likes princesses (don't know if it's an "obssession"). The girls in school really do bond over this kind of stuff. If I were in your position, I wouldn't put a stop to it, as it may only want to make her want it more, KWIM? But, given your strong feelings about it, I wouldn't go running out buying stuff to indulge her either. Let her have fun with it at school with friends, and at home try to encourage other types of play. JMHO
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Another brown-skinned mama with a princess-obsessed DD. Mine is also 4 and it's been about 6 months since she started to get into princesses and insist that she wear only "girly" clothes and colors. Drives me nuts, but we decided to play along and see how far it goes. Fact is, DD doesn't really like princesses so much as wants to fit in with the other girls in school. This is the age when they seem to gender-identify and group, and this is their way of trying to fit in with the others. I agree with you that there should be other things they can bond over, but no other girl her age seems to be animal-obsessed or dinosaur-mad like she is! I am frustrated that the pants and blue clothes in her closet seem to be unworn, but I'm also trying not to read too much into it. Her interests and personality haven't changed - she is still an outdoorsy, nature-loving, dirt-under-the-nails kind of kid, who just happens to want to wear pink most of the time.

On the skin color thing, DD was all about the golden haired princesses for a little while - she still likes Cinderella best (note that she has never ever seen a princess movie, and we have never read her a princess story!). But the other day, she was playing a princess doll dress-up game (where you can choose different hair styles, skin colors, clothes and other features for your princess) and she repeatedly chose the brown-skinned, dark haired girl over all the others. Woo-hoo!

Although we try not to draw attention to race at all (I think they're barely aware of it at this age), we definitely try and support the "brown is beautiful" message - and also provide her with lots of books with girl protagonists of all colors, races and nationalities so she sees diversity as something positive. I don't know if it's working, but we'll see.

I was sad when she said she didn't want to name DD2 an "Indian" name but a "normal" name like Lucy. Again, trying not to read too much into it.

I agree with you that it's bizarre that the only dress-up they have in your DD's school is princess dress-up. My DD's school doesn't have any princess dress-up - it's more Waldorf style generic dress up items. DD has some hand-me-down princess dress-up things at home that she likes to wear.

Good luck!

for Sandy Hook

I also think this is just a typical phase. I am also as non-girly, non-princess as you can get. heck, it didn't even dawn on me to buy my daughter dolls until she was over 2. But yet she is SO girly - will only wear skirts and dresses, asks at least once a day if she is a real princess, etc. While we don't encourage it at home, I also have not made a big deal of it. I figure there is far worse that she could be into I suppose. I definitely agree with helping her build a more positive cultural identity. Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast