Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the absurdity

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

*Stunned*
    What happens if you move between birth and preschool age?
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Wow, I hadn't even thought about that! Seriously? We're in the same city you know...only we are a totally seat-of-the-pants family that hopes that keeping fingers crossed will do the trick...
    Well, who knows, keeping fingers crossed might work out just fine! Seriously, I find the whole preschool wait list thing hard to believe. And part of me thinks it's all just hype around a few schools with good reputations and people who want their kids to go to Hamlin, then St Ignatius then Harvard or whatever, but. . . I don't want to have to drive this kid to preschool when I have three preschools within walking distance. So I'm applying now.

(As a total aside for anyone who's familiar with the SF public school assignment system, when we decided to file a medical appeal over DS' public school assignment, DH went to the office to turn it in and there was a woman in line who hadn't applied at all for round 1. She was picking a grade school based on the nearest one that had openings. DH and I have both said that she's probably every bit as happy with her kid's school as we are and we agonized and filed an appeal and on and on. Some days, I wish I were that woman.)

And, yeah, I really, really feel for people who move into this city with kids. Between the preschool insanity and the debacle that is the public school assignment system, it seems impossible to work out the school situation when moving here.

Catherine

arivecchi is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Holy smokes! That is crazy, and I thought Chicago was bad.....
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Oh yeah I got the look of are you nuts when I applied to a local daycare center when I was 7 mos. pregnant for when DD was 4 mos. old. The lady looked at me and told me oh you should've applied 7 mos. ago. Needless to say they never called to let me know if they had a space or not.

I lucked out as far as preschool goes because the daycare we ended up going to has an agreement with the wonderful preschool that DD goes to that her daycare kids are gauranteed spots each year! So no waiting list for us!
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

The daycare/preschool center where we were hoping to get in has people on its waiting list that have been there for at least a year...and have yet to conceive.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD was on the waiting list for her preschool that she started at age 2 when she was 4 months old.
    Susanna 6/29/04
    James 6/15/10

Quote Originally Posted by vonfirmath View Post
    *Stunned*
    What happens if you move between birth and preschool age?
    This is ridiculous!
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Btw, my ds2 was on the list for his preschool when he was 6w old. I too learned from my experience with ds1. If I wanted that school then I knew I had to get it in.

Beth

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Wow, how insane!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

maydaymommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If I wanted my kids to be able to go to the private school I graduated from, I would have to call after their births -- WHILE IN THE HOSPITAL -- just to get them on the waiting list to be tested for kindergarten. As a legacy.

If I wanted them to go to the feeder preschool for this kindergarten, they would be out of luck, because it only accepts legacies, and I didn't live in that city as a preschooler.

Crazy.

In Chicago I taught at the type of schools that accept 30% of 3 year olds, and not by lottery.

Glad I don't live in a place where I need to worry about this.
    Big Brother 5/07
    Little Brother 9/09

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast