elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How do I know if I can use oven cleaner in my oven?

My oven has been nasty ever since we moved into our house (~2 years ago ) . I want to scrub the whole thing out (or pay someone to do it!) but when I asked my cleaning lady about it, she said that you can't use the harsh oven cleaners in some ovens.
    I couldn't find the instructions for the oven in the file the previous owners left and when I looked online it only had info on the newer ones.
    I have no idea of what year it is or model or anything. It seems 10 years old at least IME.
    It's a Dacor.
    What would happen if I tried the Easy-Off?

How else would I clean it?

I can't find my CHCP book unfortunately.
    DD
    DS

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Aren't most ovens now self cleaning? Does it have a clean setting? I know our oven does and yeah, you can't use cleaners on it. Just press the clean button and leave it alone for a few hours. FYI, it will get very hot so I suggest either leaving the house or at least doing it when the little people aren't there.

I did ours for the first time in 10 years about 6m ago. Really, it wasn't that scary -- that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. There was grey "ashes" left over. My manual said those could be wiped or would disappear next cleaning. Which, er, I haven't gotten around to.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Ok, I'm an idiot. It does have a self cleaning button, yes. I have pressed that before, and I guess it seemed a little cleaner afterwards, but not really. We did get those flaky ash things after too. So I'll try just pressing the button again (seems so Jetsons!) and maybe I'll have the cleaning people just use a damp cloth and just wipe it out after or something.

Thanks!
    DD
    DS

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

IIRC, the ashes mean that there was more "stuff" to clean than the setting could achieve and that a second cleaning was in order.

See, another reason for takeout. LOL.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    IIRC, the ashes mean that there was more "stuff" to clean than the setting could achieve and that a second cleaning was in order.
    LOL! I think I probably need to do it like 10 times then! Serious.
    Maybe I'll actually do it before Thanksgiving this year. Maybe.
    DD
    DS