Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: cutting grapes

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    Another one I never particularly thought about before was melon, but one of my best friends' DD choked on a piece of honeydew last summer and her DH had to Heimlich her to get it out. .
    I could have typed this post. DD choked on a piece of cantaloupe last summer and turned blue in the face. I was standing in the kitchen cleaning dishes/talking on the phone with DD in her highchair in the middle of the kitchen. All of a sudden I hear the "choking" noise. I look over to see her choking and literally throw the phone and yanked her out of her high chair. She was turning blue. I fell with her to the floor with her landing on my knee. The force was not great enough to get the melon out. I held her face down over my knee and literally beat her back. I mean, I hit her so hard I was sure I would leave a hand print (it didn't). Finally on the fourth hit it came out and she threw up bile with it. It was the most terrifying day of my life. While this is going on I'm thinking, "Why did I throw the phone! I should call 911! I can't call 911 and do hemlich at same time but she may die if I don't call". These thoughts and what was happening, it was all fractions of seconds. The whole thing maybe took 20-30 seconds.

This was on a piece that was cut up what I thought was small enough. a little square.

I always quarter everything for her. Hotdogs, grapes, tomatoes, etc. She isn't allowed to have honeydue or cantaloupe until she's a little older. I did let her have watermelon though.

Fairy, I remember your post about your DS and I also sent it to my husband and told MIL about it.
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnandangel View Post
    I could have typed this post. DD choked on a piece of cantaloupe last summer and turned blue in the face. I was standing in the kitchen cleaning dishes/talking on the phone with DD in her highchair in the middle of the kitchen. All of a sudden I hear the "choking" noise. I look over to see her choking and literally throw the phone and yanked her out of her high chair. She was turning blue. I fell with her to the floor with her landing on my knee. The force was not great enough to get the melon out. I held her face down over my knee and literally beat her back. I mean, I hit her so hard I was sure I would leave a hand print (it didn't). Finally on the fourth hit it came out and she threw up bile with it. It was the most terrifying day of my life. While this is going on I'm thinking, "Why did I throw the phone! I should call 911! I can't call 911 and do hemlich at same time but she may die if I don't call". These thoughts and what was happening, it was all fractions of seconds. The whole thing maybe took 20-30 seconds.

This was on a piece that was cut up what I thought was small enough. a little square.

I always quarter everything for her. Hotdogs, grapes, tomatoes, etc. She isn't allowed to have honeydue or cantaloupe until she's a little older. I did let her have watermelon though.

Fairy, I remember your post about your DS and I also sent it to my husband and told MIL about it.
    OMG! Glad your DD is ok! You reacted and saved her life. My great fear is that I will freeze.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Angelina, my goodness! I can relate completely! I am so sorry you went thru this, I truly am. Horrifying, and I'm glad you have communicated this to your DH and MIL. I have not been able to effectively communicate to DH what I went thru. He understands, and he believes me, and he is usually slicing stuff, but he thinks we can back off now. Needless to say, I disagree.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6