Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: cutting grapes

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default cutting grapes

How old was your DC when you stopped cutting grapes in half? My DS is nearly 3 now and I still do it. But, I'm the only person I know IRL who still does for their near 3 year old (we have a lot of friends with kids within a couple months of my DS's age). I'm still a bit paranoid I guess (I slice hot dogs down the center too). DS has never had a problem chewing anything and never choked on anything.

ET correct stupid grammar mistake (embarrassed).
    Last edited by mommylamb; 04-21-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My girls are 3.5 and I still sometimes do. For instance, if we have anyone over or are out of the house at any kind of function, I will cut them. My "logic" is that they are more likely to be talking, laughing, or eating quickly when they are distracted by other kids, etc. When we are at home and eating together at the table, I don't cut them any more but they know to take one at a time and bite them carefully and I watch.
    I really don't mind cutting them and it's honestly worth it for me to minimize the risk. I still cut hot dogs....I just figure why NOT? Makes me feel better, anyway.

Fairy is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Please read this thread.
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...hoking+hazards

I'm just let him start eating grapes again recently. If we're at home, I cut them in half. If we're out, I probably don't, but I helicopter as he's eating them. I don't care how overboard it is, I literally had a nightmare in February about it (I remember cuz it was while I was in LA). Still. So, if you're me, you're on the way the hell far end of the still slicing grapes spectrum. YMMV.
    * Charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society
    * I do not fix my typos. I shuold, but I dodn't.
    * I regret tucking my jeans into my socks with Reebok high-tops well into 1994.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My kids are 2.5 and 5. Grapes still get quartered and hotdogs get quartered lengthwise. I will likely continue until my youngest is 6. I'm a but paranoid in that area, but in general am a rather relaxed parent. Choking is just a big issue for me.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'll do it till at least 3.

Beth

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My kids are 4.75 and 2.5. I always cut DS2's grapes. DS1 I usually cut them (lunchbox etc) but he might on occasion be allowed to eat them off of say a cheese platter. Fairy's post DID make an impression.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes, Fairy I also remember your post and maybe when re-thinking it I will go back to cutting them again. Honestly, I don't care what other people think and it's not like it's a lot of trouble, so why not.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I still cut grapes and baby carrots for DS3 most of the time (almost 3), but not usually for DS1&2 (5 and 6.5). I do cut hotdogs lengthwise for all of them still because it is very easy.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD will be two in a month and I'm planning to keep cutting grapes and little tomatoes in half for a while. They're just the right size to get stuck in her throat and too slippery to get a hold of, you know? I don't want to risk it. She loves grapes and tomatoes. Maybe I'll feel a little less concerned once those back teeth grow in and she can chew them up better.

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DD is two and I plan on cutting all grapes, hotdogs (and similar foods) 'till she's at least 4....I belive the guidelines are 'till 4. Until her throat is bigger and she understands what can happen if she plays with her food, I will be cutting her food.
    It shocks me when we go to playgroups with 3 and under kids and whole grapes and popcorn are the snacks for the kids.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast