Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: cutting grapes

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just posted about this exact thing a few months ago too. I'm still cutting. I have started to let her eat them whole once in a while if I am right there. But then I get all worried so I figure what's the point? And then I usually cut them the next time.
    DD
    DS

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I still cut them up for my 7 year old.
    Jen

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I "think" I was still cutting his grapes in half last year when he was 5 and in kindergarten. I don't usually cut them in half any more (he's 6 1/2), but sometimes if we get those really big grapes then I do. DS1 got a piece of beet stuck in this throat two summers ago when we were at Legoland and he was almost five, so I try to cut things up even smaller now.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kep View Post
    Does anyone else remember Mason, the best friend of one of our BBB mama's son? He choked to death on a hot dog at age five (I believe it was five...). That still affects me, and I think about Mason often during meals. I can't remember which mama it was; it happened SO long ago. I searched and searched for the original posts, but I think it was way before the board change, and I can't seem to pull it up. It was so tragic and horrifying.

The memory of Mason still helps keep my kids safe even today.
    I still think of Masyn every single time I'm cutting up hot dogs for my kiddos.

Found them, his name was spelled with a y vs. a o, but I got lucky when searching:
    Original thread http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=233317
    Update http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=240932
    Last edited by s7714; 04-21-2010 at 12:26 AM.
    Jen

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Laurel is the first child for whom I cut grapes. For the other two I just didn't give them grapes. Wait, maybe I did for Dora, and cut them in half, but I hardly gave them to her. I think she was maybe 2, 2.5 when I just gave them to her whole. Arwyn was probably younger.

But I also let my kids eat whole nuts, raisins, hotdogs, popcorn, etc very early on.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ok, I'm entirely convinced to go on cutting those grapes... thanks all.

Of course IRL my friends were forward facing their kids way before I was too. One dad at my son's daycare asked me the other day if I would be getting a booster for DS soon. I think I visibly blanched and told him that my car seat goes up to 65 lbs so he had a really long way to go before I did that, and then gave a lecture about why a 5pt harness is important. I probably sounded like a nut. (DS will be 3 in June and, while he's quite tall and he weighs about 36 lbs., he is still well within the weight/height for my radian 65.) So clearly the folks I know IRL are not up on the BBB way of doing things.

khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I will always cut them for my 2 year old. for 4.5 y/o I cut them for daycare lunches, but not if we are at home. She screams that she does not want them cut. But I think at daycare they have to be.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I cut them for DD, 3.5 at home and for school. I still cut hotdogs, baby carrots, and grape tomatoes down the middle, too. I intend to do so until she's at least 5 or 6, and she's just going to have to deal with it. I already hear from her that "this person's grapes aren't cut" and "that person's grapes aren't cut" regarding her friends at school, but that's tough.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

I don't usually cut them anymore for my 4-year-old. I do, of course, for my 19 month old. But I have wondered how small I should cut them for him. I was quartering, but I have also just halved them recently. Are those pieces too big? He seems to handle them fine, but I still worry sometimes. Pretty sure DH always just halves them when he serves them.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I cut them for DD1 and make sure that DH does too. I cut hot dogs in 1/2 lengthwise and the same for grapes. I don't think they cut them a daycare though.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast