Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pirate Party: Do I have to supply hats and patches?

I have finally decided what I want to do for our pirate party favors (pirate packaged homemade play dough from Etsy seller in piratey colors). These work out to about $3.50 per kid. That takes up my entire favor budget. I was hoping to supply pirate hats/eye patches too. This is swim party, so I don't know how long they would even leave those on for. I did see some pirate hats at the dollar store that I could get just to have SOMETHING. Would you expect to get a hat/patch at a pirate party?

We sent Evites, so I could "remind" them to come dressed in pirate garb in an email.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

No, you don't "have to" but just my humble opinion...I would go with pirate hats and eye patches instead of the playdough
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You don't have to. It's what works with your budget. You could opt for a few pirate hats to just have around on the tables... kids can try them on, maybe take some pictures and they'll be taking them off for swimming anyways. Bandanas are always an option too.... Oriental trading is the place to go for those.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...rate+Bandannas

Oriental trading has TONS of pirate stuff

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...true&rd=pirate

I would expect a pirate hat and an eye patch at a pirate party before I would expect play-doh.

ETA: I also expect copious amounts of rum, swordplay, and drunken pirate shanties. Oh. You meant for the kids...my bad.
    Last edited by Penny's Pappa; 04-21-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

All of the pirate hats I've found seem so junky. I don't want them to be just thrown away after the party. I figure the playdough would at least get played with afterward.

Oriental Trading has some OK hats (I'd get the personalized ones I guess) but no eye patches...and I'd need to spend $50 to get free ship. Hmmmmm..... thanks for the input so far.

Many of the kids are 2yo as well. Do you think the hats would even fit?
    Last edited by MommyofAmaya; 04-21-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You could totally make the eye patches yourself and forget the hats.

Felt sheets are only about a quarter each. Buy 4 in black, a spool of elastic thread and some tacky fabric glue. I've sewn them before but glueing would be just as easy and last for a good while. Just cut out two patch looking shapes then sandwich the elastic thread between the two shapes. Put glue around the edge of both shapes and insert the elastic thread on each end. Press firmly, allow to dry. Done.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Penny's Pappa View Post
    I would expect a pirate hat and an eye patch at a pirate party before I would expect play-doh.

Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

[QUOTE=Tondi G;2701929]You don't have to. It's what works with your budget. You could opt for a few pirate hats to just have around on the tables... kids can try them on, maybe take some pictures and they'll be taking them off for swimming anyways. Bandanas are always an option too.... Oriental trading is the place to go for those.

... we just had a pirate birthday party and that's exactly what we did and it seemed to go well - we had some pirate bandannas on the table (bought at Michael's for $1 each) and some kids put them on, some didn't (I didn't have enough for everyone anyway); I did also put some paper pirate masks from Party City but the kids really didn't go for them.
    Marti

DS 04/05 and DD 01/07

All right. I'm convinced.

Think I could link the Etsy seller to this thread to explain why I'm bowing out?
    ~C~

One way to get around providing a hat and patch for each child might be to set up a photo booth...

have a few sizes of full pirate costumes and a few props and maybe a back drop or something cool in the pic (parrot, ship wheel, telescope, etc)

then plan to take a pic of each kid with your digital camera to be printed and sent home or sent later with a thank you for coming via snail mail or email (esp. since this was an evite you can easily send an electronic thank you with the photo attached)

esp. since it is a swim party the kids will be in bare minimum clothes so slipping in and out of a pirate get up won't be inconvenient at all....

you could even be in full pirate dress or get another adult or older kid/teen to assist them and/or be in the photo with them...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast