Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default travelling with infant - portable cribs? UPDATE post #27

any recommendations for good portable cribs for traveling with an infant (3-4 month old)? is the Graco PnP the "gold standard"...anything better?

this weekend will be our son's first road trip (typically 5 hr drive). and then in 2 weeks will be his first plane trip. my main concern here is the sleeping arrangement away from home...thing is, DS *loves* his crib as he likes to move & kick around a lot in his sleep and the crib mattress is very firm so it doesn't wake him up when he moves around. he loves to stretch out (no swaddling for him). now here's the thing, we have a PnP, but not sure if that will be the best thing here. We almost never use it at home. We had to lower the "mattress" on it since by 3mo DS had already exceeded the 15lb weight limit of the bassinet feature. And it seems like the bottom of the PnP is designed mainly for "playing" not for sleeping (seems a bit uncomfortable, as it doesn't feel like a smooth surface etc).

Anyway, we will have a Nap Nanny while traveling but i'm not sure if i want to let DS use it for 10+hrs at night (we only use it for naps). it seems like it can get really hot after a few hours use.

so, if there anyone has any rec's for portable cribs (or other suggestions), i'm all ears! i'm willing to spend some $ on something good since we plan to travel pretty frequently...already we have 3 plane trips planned by August!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-28-2010 at 02:27 PM.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We always used our PNP for trips until MIL got a full size crib for us to use. At my mothers we have used the PNP exclusively. We never had any issues with DC sleeping all night long in it from the time they were newborn until well over a year old.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Are you visiting someone when you travel? It seems everyone knows someone with a PnP. It is such a beast to travel with, IMO. I have one that I lend out to anyone and everyone that visits our friends and family here. Mine is a Graco and is 8.5 years old and still solid. As for whether baby will like it, I can't say. DS1 loved it and slept in in for years (at the dayhome he went to). DS2 and DD were not fans but they were also lousy sleepers no matter. They do seem uncomfortably hard (and maybe they are) but crib mattresses are supposed to be firm too, so maybe that is just how they are supposed to be.

The only other thing you can look into is the Peapod:

http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?p=4,5

I have no experience but they seem so cool!
    Last edited by Piglet; 04-22-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

thx for the replies. and about half the time we travel we will be visiting family, the other half in hotels. my mom & MIL both have PnPs at their house so we will not have to bring ours, so that's good.

i guess i should test out DS sleeping in our PnP for one night at home and see how he likes it, or at least get him used to it

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have always brought our Graco PNP. But now that they are charging for luggage, I am just going to use the portable crib they can provide at the place we stay in Kauai, when we go in a few months.
    I really wanted the Bjorn travel crib though. It seems so much lighter weight but it was $$$. If I traveled more I might have gotten it.
    http://www.amazon.com/BABYBJ%C3%96RN.../dp/B000XDYLEK
    DD
    DS

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've been eyeing this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Cheap, comfortable and good to 25 lbs.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

OMG ok now i want that BabyBjorn travel crib!! yeah it may be $$ but considering the amount we travel, it may be worth it. i like how it's so small & light to carry, unlike the PnP. and the video ..wow, it takes like 2 seconds to sit up and like 10 seconds to dissasemble, unlike the PnP. hmm, will go ask DH about this..

and about the FisherPrice newborn rocker, it looks cool except i fear DS would be too big for it already (or if not, would outgrow it no time!).

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    OMG ok now i want that BabyBjorn travel crib!! yeah it may be $$ but considering the amount we travel, it may be worth it. i like how it's so small & light to carry, unlike the PnP. and the video ..wow, it takes like 2 seconds to sit up and like 10 seconds to dissasemble, unlike the PnP.
    Do it! My boss turned me on to the Bjorn crib, and now I have one instead of a PnP. At first I was hesistant because, well, it's not as cute as a PnP, and doesn't have much in the ways of bells and whistles (no newborn napper or change table or lights or vibrations). But when I saw it in action, being set up and taken down and carried...by a real parent dealing with a real baby, not just actors in a video...I was sold. It's so light and the setup is so easy. I haven't used it yet (baby not here yet) but living on an island, most of our travel is by air, so it seemed like the right call for us.
    Emma in Bermuda
    Mama to furkids Beau and Mattie
    DS1 born June 2010
    DS2 born November 2012

hmm ok so now i think i'm totally sold on the BabyBjorn travel crib! talked to DH and he gave the green light. i think he was convinced after seeing that it got 5/5 stars on amazon (with over 100 reviews!) also the demo video looked pretty cool.

and yeah, i think the speed in setting up/taking down and it being very lightweight/portable are the biggest selling factors. i think the ease in transporting will also be helpful once i get preggers with baby #2 and won't be able to carry a lot especially with a toddler to mind as well.

anyway, thx everyone for the responses. i love the BBB!!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 04-22-2010 at 01:32 PM.

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    hmm ok so now i'm totally sold on the BabyBjorn travel crib!
    Nice! I always wanted one! It seems SO nice. Now I can live vicariously through you.
    DD
    DS

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast