twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Costco grain-free dog food (update)

Bought a bag of the Nature's Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato grain-free dog food at Costco to try (only 80 cents/pound)!! Our dogs don't have problems with grains but it seemed like a good food to rotate, especially with the awesome price.

So far, so good! Seems like a great food. Smells good, dogs have had no problems adjusting, poops are firm and a bit smaller in volume (which tells me they are digesting more of it, and therefore would eat less, meaning even more $$ saved!) Dogs love it (but they love any food, any time!)

Their last bag of food was Canidae, and I try to rotate every few months (usually between the Canidae varieties, and Wellness or others when it's on sale since they are so darned expensive). I have not had them on a grain-free food before.

Hope that helps out anyone wanting to try it!

Our dogs have done relatively well with it too. We aren't getting the same kind of results (as far as the yard goes) as with TOTW, but hopefully they will get adjusted and scooping will get a little easier.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh man! I wish there was a Costco around here! TOTW has gone up, Canidae changed they're formula a couple of years ago, it's just so hard to find an afordable good grain-free food!

deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sorry, what is TOTW?

Following this thread as we just got a puppy. He is eating Wellness, and some of that Natural Balance food in the tube.
    Deb
    Mama to my guys, K (May '03) and Q (June '07)

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have one of our dogs on it and are switching the other two over the next 10 days or so. Great food.

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

TOTW- Taste of the Wild. Made by Diamond, one of the more reasonably priced grain-free dog foods.

Taste of the Wild Pet Foods - Per Diamond Pet Food (manufacturer) “all fish meal, ocean fish meal, and salmon meal ingredients are preserved with ethoxyquin.”

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...od-labels.html

I would choose Blue Buffalo

I really wish we had a Costco near us...we have a 1-year-old Great Dane who eats Wellness, and 160 pounds of dog goes through a lot of food!
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maquignon View Post
    Taste of the Wild Pet Foods - Per Diamond Pet Food (manufacturer) “all fish meal, ocean fish meal, and salmon meal ingredients are preserved with ethoxyquin.”

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...od-labels.html

I would choose Blue Buffalo
    Ugh. I'm going to have to rethink this food. Is it just fish meal that is preserved with ethox? Meat meals are OK? Maybe I will stick to Canidae lamb or Canidae chicken.