Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: smoking - WHY?!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've never smoked and don't have any idea why people do it. I've always wanted to ask someone why they're a smoker.
    I'm sure 90%+ plus start at that young stupid age when you feel indestructible, and then get addicted. Addiction is powerful.

Of course smoking is disgusting, but I try not to judge. It's like yelling at someone for being depressed. Of course being depressed is a terrible way to live life, and every self-help magazine tells you to exercise and get to a therapist. Of course depression doesn't just affect YOU, it affects your whole family and all your friends too. But when you're mentally there, none of that matters. And you hate yourself even more for not being able to get over it when other people have.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I'm sure 90%+ plus start at that young stupid age when you feel indestructible, and then get addicted. Addiction is powerful.

Of course smoking is disgusting, but I try not to judge. It's like yelling at someone for being depressed.
    I've smoked on and off throughout my 20's (the smoking when drinking kind of thing) and luckily never got addicted. The smoking alone is not what I find so disgusting. It's the smoking right over the baby's head in the bjorn. I feel like there are other better choices than to do that, even if you are addicted.
    DD
    DS

Absolutely that is child abuse, and it is infuriating that it doesn't seem to be a crime. Wait, I just googled and found there are some state laws barring foster parents from smoking around foster children, and I know there are some laws barring people from smoking in cars transporting children. But that is not enough. I hate smoking so much!

ickick and more ICK. i was DRIVING around town today and there was someone smoking in the car in front of me, and i was complaining to myself (and toddler) that it was icky. and that was just what was wafting in from their car. i was wondering why people START smoking. seriously, it's just such an AVOIDABLE addiction. and it's SO EXPENSIVE now too. ickickick. and around kids? what's wrong with people?

i had a boyfriend who was an off and on smoker --he was truly someone who could just "stop" whenever...he really could, and YES i know that means its insane that he would ever start again, but so it was. when he had a cigarette i made him do this crazy surgical scrub down-- his whole arms and wash his face i just can't stand the smell of stale smoke, though i was telling DH that occasionally i don't mind the smell of people smoking in the moment (like if i walk by outside our b&n starbucks), i just hate the idea of it getting in my hair-- which tends to soak up any available smoke in a 500 ft radius

poor little baby and kiddo!

wellyes-- i don't agree that smoking is like depression. people can't help being clinically depressed. they are chemically disposed to it and no one would CHOOSE to become depressed clinically (well, next to no one there are always exceptions). smokers CHOOSE to start smoking. people know the health consequences-- it's pretty ignorant, even as a teen to think "i won't get addicted" or " i won't get lung cancer" or have serious effects-- the facts are just what they are. everyone knows the health risks nowadays. peer pressure just isn't a good enough excuse.

and, i believe the biggest predictor of whether or not someone will smoke, is if their parents smoke. i'll admit- i'm TOTALLY judgey when it comes to smoking. i'm NOT judgey about mental illness.

my cousin smoked since she was a young teen (maybe as young as twelve?) -- she was certainly addicted, but was able to quit as soon as she got pregnant and still doesn't smoke, ever, 3 years later. so it IS possible and children should be a huge motivation!

LexyLou is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DISGUSTING! I can't even pretend to not be disgusted with smoking. It's gross and smelly.

My 2 year old sings, "NO CIGARETTES! NO CIGARETTES!"

So sad for the kids.
    Alexis
    DD #1-9/26/05
    DD #2-8/14/07

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Seitvonzu View Post
    and, i believe the biggest predictor of whether or not someone will smoke, is if their parents smoke.
    Both of my parents smoked, and were social smokers beginning in their teens (I think my dad said he was 15 or 16) and my mom was 18 or 19. My dad quit cold turkey when he was 29 after a hard night of partying at a town cruise night event. My mom quit at 38 the day she found out that my grandfather had lung cancer (due to smoking, and radiation he had in the 50s to remove his thyroid).

Now with all of that said I have never once smoked a cigarette I just have no urge to. Same with DH and his father was social smoker in the military so he could get more breaks.

I try not to be judgy of people who smoke, but yeah it's hard and I am just thankful that in CA it's against the law to drive and smoke in a car with children.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

what burns me up is when i have to breathe it in myself because someone else is choosing so smoke near me. ditto for the poor kiddos... someone else making a choice to engage in this disgusting behavior means that others, who made no such choice, have to breathe that nasty toxic air. especially babies and children!! so, SO wrong. my dad smoked when we were growing up, in the car with the window cracked and everything, so maybe that's why i'm so sensitive to it now. i'm NOT a confrontational person at all, i hate conflict, but i don't hesitate to wave my hand in front of my face and look grossed out when someone is smoking close to me. fine, i don't really care if you want to do that to YOUR body, but i care very much about protecting myself from it. go smoke all day long, by yourself in your house, fine by me. when smokers make the CHOICE to smoke in public, near other people, they are robbing those others of the choice to breathe (relatively) clean air. infuriating. to do that to a child is disgusting and wrong.
    big sister (11/09)
    little brother (1/14)

"I guess that's the real circle of life. Your parents faked their way through it, you fake your way through it, and hopefully you don't raise a serial killer." --Phil Dunphy, Modern Family

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    ITA. Even worse is when people smoke in cars...with the windows cracked a hair. I always feel so badly for those kids.
    The other day I heard smoking in a car carrying small children is illegal in CA. I hope that it's true!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I've smoked on and off throughout my 20's (the smoking when drinking kind of thing) and luckily never got addicted. The smoking alone is not what I find so disgusting. It's the smoking right over the baby's head in the bjorn. I feel like there are other better choices than to do that, even if you are addicted.
    Oh, I'm totally with you there.

wellyes-- i don't agree that smoking is like depression. people can't help being clinically depressed. they are chemically disposed to it and no one would CHOOSE to become depressed clinically (well, next to no one there are always exceptions). smokers CHOOSE to start smoking. people know the health consequences-- it's pretty ignorant, even as a teen to think "i won't get addicted" or " i won't get lung cancer" or have serious effects-- the facts are just what they are. everyone knows the health risks nowadays. peer pressure just isn't a good enough excuse.
    I'm not trying to defend smoking. Smoking is blatantly undefendable. Starting smoking is a very stupid choice. But most of us have made stupid choices in our lives, haven't we, particularly when young? Some kids drive way too fast and nothing bad happens. Others drive too fast and get into an accident that kills them. It's still a tragedy when that happens. And addiction is terrible. For some people I do think the physical cravings and psychological compulsions of addiction are analogous to mental illness. I know smoking is awful and evil. I wish no one smoked. I hate smoking. But as someone who tends to be a bit compulsive myself (OCD) I do have empathy for smokers, or anyone who feels trapped into negative behavior despite, on a logical level, knowing better.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast