lablover is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Children's Zyrtec Syrup

I know there was a voluntary recall for certain batches but does anyone know if any stores still have it on the shelves? My Target and local grocery store don't. I ran out and started giving her the generic Target brand and her nose has been a mess the past few days. It could just be her allergies worsening from the shift in the type of tree pollen but I'd like to put her back on Zyrtec to see if that would help any. I'm about to pull my hair out because she is on 4 meds and her allergies are not being controlled, and the dreaded tight cough has started, which means her asthma is next.
    Mom to:
    DS - 2003
    DD - 2006

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was just at BJ's yesterday where I bought zyrtec pills and claritin chewables for the kids, but darn it, I can't remember if they had liquid zyrtec. My only advice is call ahead to stores to have someone do the work for you. GL

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I bought it at BJ's, AFTER the recall, so I guess they still carry it.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not sure where you live, but when I called the ped about DD's terrible allergies this week, they said it's the worst they've seen in years. Zyrtec and Target's generic have identical active ingredients, so I doubt that's the issue.

A couple of things that the ped suggested that seem to be helping a little (if you're not doing already):

*Zyrtec/generic dose can be split between day and night to provide more constant protection.

* Nasonex can be used twice a day.

* If she's still really gunky, you can add Mucinex (EXPECTORANT ONLY) to the mix. (Might want to confirm with your ped - but ours is ok with it in addition to the Zyrtec, Nasonex and Singulair.

While she's still got a cough and sneezing, it's MUCH better since we made the above changes a couple of days ago.

Good luck -

Emily

catpagmo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I haven't heard about the recall, and I just bought some syrup last week for DD. Can someone post a link for the recall? I couldn't find it when I googled.
    DD 12/05
    DS 02/09

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Default What recall?

Quote Originally Posted by betpagmo View Post
    I haven't heard about the recall, and I just bought some syrup last week for DD. Can someone post a link for the recall? I couldn't find it when I googled.
    I am also confused. DD2 takes Zyrtec daily all year 'round for eczema and allergy prevention. I haven't heard about a recall and I'm quite concerned.
    ~Shanamama

Mommy's girl- 10 years old!!
    Daddy's girl- turning 7!!
    monkey boy- 3 years old now!!

Wacky typos brought to you by autocorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by ShanaMama View Post
    I am also confused. DD2 takes Zyrtec daily all year 'round for eczema and allergy prevention. I haven't heard about a recall and I'm quite concerned.
    Here's the thread about it from a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...=zyrtec+recall

My Target has not had any of the liquid Zyrtec for at least a month now.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The recall info. I just found says this was not a consumer level recall...it has to do with the walls of the bottles being potentially too thin. It sounds like retailers were supposed to return certain lot numbers.

http://www.zyrtec.com/econsumer/zyrt...call_info.html
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

catpagmo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boolady View Post
    The recall info. I just found says this was not a consumer level recall...it has to do with the walls of the bottles being potentially too thin. It sounds like retailers were supposed to return certain lot numbers.

http://www.zyrtec.com/econsumer/zyrt...call_info.html
    Thanks for posting the link!
    DD 12/05
    DS 02/09

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt