Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I usually (just my nature) look at people initally with a did you really just say that rude thing face and then end up sort of laughing AT them and say something like "wow thanks" with a HUGE grin on my face. So they sort of get the point but it isn't totally bitchy and they end up laughing. This isn't witty it is just what i do naturally
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I usually (just my nature) look at people initally with a did you really just say that rude thing face and then end up sort of laughing AT them and say something like "wow thanks" with a HUGE grin on my face. So they sort of get the point but it isn't totally bitchy and they end up laughing. This isn't witty it is just what i do naturally
    /hillary
    I love your reaction. I wish that came to me naturally! otherwise I wouldn't be sitting here, wondering how I can react differently in the future.

I really appreciate everyone's comeback ideas and suggestions. thank you!!

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is there any chance this person was aiming for pregnancy commiseration? Is she otherwise someone who makes nasty or passive-aggressive comments?

On the "is it real" I know its rude and I would personally never ask someone that, but I know lots of perfectly nice people who are just into jewelry and its normal in their circles to ask that.

If you feel that this was meant to be rude, there are very nice ways to get your point across that this is not a kind thing to say. As in, "Really? Everyone has been telling me I am just glowing with this pregnancy."

I am not that into comebacks - - I tend to think if it has reached the stage that I need to prepare comebacks then this is someone I plan to have zero interaction with in the future!
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

Planned comebacks aren't my thing, but I think your reply to "is it real" was spot on. You let her know it was inappropriate without stooping to her level.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

In a very drawn out, lazy voice, "it's the company".
    I am going to use that!!!! It's rude as hell but so much better than my usually wussy response to "sympathetic" comments which are really barbs. I love it!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

With the ole "you look tired" one, I always say, "I know. I was up WAY too late counting all my money." Or "polishing all my diamonds" or "screwing the UPS guy." Etc etc. Smile, walk away.

The necklace one is a little trickier but I think I'd go with (really loud) "What? Oh my gosh! I totally thought you just asked me if my dead grandmother's pearl necklace was real! (laughlaughlaugh) I mean can you imagine someone asking something so uncouth? (laughlaughlaugh) So I'm sorry - what were you saying?"

But I have no issue with looking a jackash in the eye and being inappropriate & loud. (I know! Imagine that!)

I always channel Winston Churchill. You know, something awful like
    "I may look tired, my dear, but tomorrow I'll be refreshed and you'll still be rude."

But I LOVE JMS's responses - those are just fabulous!
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2